Quick Pics from Parkside

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby5757

lightly hirsute
Reaction score
So I got busy and didnt take too many pictures....but here are a few.

Oakhill brought a blooming Polyrhiza lindenii...
S7301378.jpg

This, I believe, is the Paph. godefroyae that Robert mentioned Jason put pollen on. I'm pretty sure it got an AM. I can't remember.

S7301379.jpg

Here is a very nice orange/tangerine form of Habenaria rhodocheila.

S7301382.jpg

I can't remember what this one is, but you can get a good idea of the parents are. Didn't get an award, but I have a photo.

S7301385.jpg

Once the good camera returns to the house, Ill try to get a photo of Bulb. tremulin that I picked up. Kinda like barbigerum, but smaller.

Thanks for posting!!! The last Paph I think is Paph. Angela (niveum x fairrianum).

Ramon:)

thanks for posting! i esp. like the first pict, and am intrigued by it. where does the Polyrhiza lindenii flower come from?: from the small mount up in the middle of the pict. or from the mass of roots on the right side???? Jean

thanks for posting! i esp. like the first pict, and am intrigued by it. where does the Polyrhiza lindenii flower come from?: from the small mount up in the middle of the pict. or from the mass of roots on the right side???? Jean
Jean, From the roots. See old bloom spikes up and to the right (brown in color). The small mounts to the left, up and down I believe are babies polys

That's why it's called the 'Ghost orchid'. It's leafless and in the wild the roots match the bark of ther trees it grows on so you just see the flowers floating in the air.

I like the Ghost orchid the most for the reason below.
"There isn't a leaf for the insects to feed on"

Thanx scooby, did your plants win anything?

I didn't have any plants entered. I'd like to own that godefroyae though. :)

A little off topic - I've only entered one, Phrag. Inti's Tears a while back. Isn't wasnt a bad flower but not great either, but it was in full bloom and I was going to judging anway so I figured why not. Nothing ever seems timed right to take in. Blooms to early, or is just cracking the bud two days before, or gets attacked, usually by me, and marred.

Like this Bulb. tremulin I'd love to take in for the heck of it to see if it would get the CBR, if only because I promised my mother Id name the first one sort of in honor of her. We jokingly call her "Principessa Pasquelina" (a bastardized "Princess Patricia") so the cv. name would be "Principessa's (fill in blank) . Since this B. tremulin kinda is like B. barbigerum, with the hairy lip to catch the breeze and quiver, I want to use the cv. name "Principessa's Hairy Lip". :rollhappy: I chuckle at the thought. And I think after she digest's the idea, she'll get a kick out of it too. BUT, it was in bud for judging at Parkside and will be long gone (I think) by next month. Missed the boat again. Maybe next year.

Thanks Scooby for posting those pictures. Now I know what the godefroyae looks like that Jason put the pollen onto of our godefroyae. It is a nice one too, but I am still sad that our flower broke off during transport:sob::sob: seeing that this one got an AM, I am sure ours would have gotten that too (I think Jason measured both flowers and he said ours was even a little larger).

How is you Phrag. Mem. Estelle Getty? Isn't it amazing you suggested to name one, and a week later, you actually own one with that name. The name is now official; I heard back from the register that it had been accepted.

Robert

I have a couple robust Angelas in bloom right now. The proportions on this look more like Sierra Lace x fairrieanum to me, but there must be other possibilites too.

I think you are right, either Sierra Lace or maybe it was S Gratrix. Im pretty sure it wasnt a straight species brachy.

Ghost orchid! :drool::clap: I'm thinking there must be more than one plant in that pic. I've seen some in the wild, and I don't remember that many roots! Beautiful anyway. The Habenaria too.

Back