niveum from bloomfield's

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't say that I've had very many orchids flowering lately, but a nice one I bought in bud from Bloomfield Orchids at our december cnyos meeting. It wasn't quite open for the january meeting but should be in nice shape hopefully with two flowers open. I've never grown niveum but hope it is as easy as the delenatii that I'll post soon. Had some nice sunshine today so had to get a picture of it and a few others to post!

niveum1.JPG

niveum2.JPG

a bit of a closeup to try and show the staminode and central hairs

niveum3.JPG

whole plant view to show back of flower color

the flower is actually much 'whiter' than what shows here; according to my photo editing software, the pictures look much brighter than what shows up online, and it is hard to remember to force myself to edit them brighter than what looks good on the screen

I like the simple but usually easily identifiable shapes and colors of the smaller species; never really liked the complex paphs as I thought they looked fake.

anyone have specific growing info for someone trying this species under lights in an apartment?

I love the strawberry colour at the back of the flower that matches superbly with the creamy at the front!!!!! Great!!!! (Now I feel hungry....!!!)

I've never grown niveum but hope it is as easy as the delenatii that I'll post soon.

It's lovely. I am very partial to the Brachys and niveum is my favourite.

Keep in mind that while it may be as easy to grow as your delenatii, it requires different conditions. Paph. delenatii is a Parvi; but, unlike other Parvi's, it likes the potting mix to be slightly acidic. Whereas, Paph. niveum is a Brachy and just like other Brachy's, it likes the pH to be neutral to slightly alkaline. I'm sure that Bloomfield's has used an appropriate mix for your niveum. However, when you repot it eventually, use a mix that is about 5% limestone gravel. Other than that, I grow these two species the same, side by side.

Keep in mind that while it may be as easy to grow as your delenatii, it requires different conditions. Paph. delenatii is a Parvi; but, unlike other Parvi's, it likes the potting mix to be slightly acidic. Whereas, Paph. niveum is a Brachy and just like other Brachy's, it likes the pH to be neutral to slightly alkaline. I'm sure that Bloomfield's has used an appropriate mix for your niveum. However, when you repot it eventually, use a mix that is about 5% limestone gravel. Other than that, I grow these two species the same, side by side.

thanks, good point.

NYEric said:
Limestone gravel store!?

actually upstate around here there are lots of places to get limestone right next to the road. diatomite I think fits the bill nicely, that along with some crushed coral. eric, there is an ace hardware outlet or superstore in brooklyn that has things like lava rock, probably a pet store would have crushed coral

Latest posts

Back