question for Dr Orchid and other breeders

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While many of the back crosses may look similar, there may be reasons to pursue that line of breeding as well. Perhaps there will be hybrid vigor, or you will accidentally find a desirable combination of traits that yeild an easier growing or easier blooming plant.
The big white phals are an example of this I think...they all look rather similar and are probably mostly (phal amablis?) in their genetic heritage, but by multiple back crosses, you you can select for better size better display, easier bloomability etc.

I agree w/ ohio-guy, plus there are subtle differences thats what make them interesting. I think the biggest influences we'll see soon are in crosses made w/ the flavum besseae and w/ fischeri. Kovachii will take a while to stabilize; then the size and color variants will have a stronger influence. My opinion.

While many of the back crosses may look similar, there may be reasons to pursue that line of breeding as well. Perhaps there will be hybrid vigor, or you will accidentally find a desirable combination of traits that yeild an easier growing or easier blooming plant.
The big white phals are an example of this I think...they all look rather similar and are probably mostly (phal amablis?) in their genetic heritage, but by multiple back crosses, you you can select for better size better display, easier bloomability etc.

:clap::clap: Exactly how I would say it!

Robert

Latest posts

Back