pyrethrin recommendation?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OG Bio War has an Bio control for all sorts of insects. It uses fungi to kill insects. I have not used it mainly because I have no need for it.

foliar pack

Just an update, went with Leo's recommendation of the Decathlon 20 WP and Enstar II AQ from Hummert, and it cleaned up the mealy bugs RIGHT QUICK. Took care of some scale too.

I could have spared myself much misery if I had started using this before. A little does go a long way too. Good stuff.

Most pyrethrums only break down in a couple of days but there is also a slow release (encapsulated pyrethrum) and one called permathrin which lasts for many weeks and is very effective. Check out your local agricutural supplier.

to answer the first question, you can find simple pyrethrin concentrates at box stores and others. about orthene, in some states it is no longer legal to sell/buy it. how much did the enstar 2 cost? when I bought some from a wholesaler a number of years ago, it was $80 for a tiny bottle! that plus the decathlon must have cost well over your $50 target (just curious)

Through hummert the Decathlon was $81 for a 8 oz jar of powder, and the Enstar II AQ was $136 for a quart. For my small collection of plants, (<200) that should last many many years depending on shelflife.

Similar to Leo's experience, I must have spent hundreds in the past on "OTC" products that weren't very effective. Definitely worth it for products that work immediately and are effective in extremely small doses.

that's probably about the same price as I would have expected.

by the way, never put enstar into plastic bottles or measuring containers... it starts to melt them right away! the last time I bought some, I was going to split the bottle with someone else and was measuring it in a little plastic measuring scoop, and the cup started to sag and melt! had to quickly find something glass or at least more durable to put it into quickly
enstar has an rei like some other igr's, even though they aren't harmful to humans. the 'dissolving' agent in enstar and others is pretty harsh so once it's dispersed then it's safe; the active ingredient isn't harmful

by the way, never put enstar into plastic bottles or measuring containers... it starts to melt them right away!
That is true of the old "Enstar" that came in glass bottles. What is sold now is "Enstar II AQ"; it is a water based dispersion and comes in plastic bottles.

The new Enstar II AQ (I guess that the AQ stands for "aqueous") is supposed to be less likely to exhibit any phytotoxicity. Has anyone experienced phytotoxicity with the old solvent based Enstar? I thought I might have, but then I was using other materials at the time and the phytotoxicity was quite likely from something else but now I am a bit fearful of using the old solvent based Enstar.

oh, okay; good. we usually put it through foggers and didn't really have high volume on a plant. if you were using the old kind and weren't putting it on flowers that were going to be displayed in a show or had been flowering for a while, I would try it on one or two and see. if it did, then you could always wait and spray when the flowers are done

I don't ever remember there being a problem with enstar II and flower problems, and never plant problems, but then we weren't spraying orchids, so it'd be better to be safe

That is true of the old "Enstar" that came in glass bottles. What is sold now is "Enstar II AQ"; it is a water based dispersion and comes in plastic bottles.

The new Enstar II AQ (I guess that the AQ stands for "aqueous") is supposed to be less likely to exhibit any phytotoxicity. Has anyone experienced phytotoxicity with the old solvent based Enstar? I thought I might have, but then I was using other materials at the time and the phytotoxicity was quite likely from something else but now I am a bit fearful of using the old solvent based Enstar.

David, I used the solvent-based stuff with acephate or imidicloprid - sometimes both at once- and never saw any signs of phytotoxicity.

Ray Barkalow
Sent using Tapatalk

Back