pyrethrin recommendation?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an affordable pyrethrin concentrate?

Have been trying to eradicate some mealy bugs in my collection and insecticidal soap is only keeping them in check. I grow my orchids inside the house so want to add pyrethrin since it is less noxious than other chemicals...

Am hoping to find a good concentrate that i can add to the soap mix for under $50...any recommendations?

I found this refernce, ? might be useful. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r280300711.html
I undestand pyrethrum needs to directly contact the insect and isn't systemic. Could you take the plants outside (oops, its winter in Ohio), or somewhere and spray them with a systemic insecticide?

I agree it has to be systemic for mealy bug. If you can see some mealy bug there is a lot more you can't see. A mixture of rogor and white oil is the only thing that works for me. I hate using that stuff though.

Pyrethrin works well on any mealies it contacts. I've never found soap or oil to be effective on them (although oil is effective on scale). The problem with pyrethrin is that you have to spray every day, just about. On the other hand, it is very safe, and it doesn't damage flower buds. I hate the way mealies get between the bud and the bract on paphs!

Have you thought about using Merrit? It's a systemic

There are some Bayor products available at regular garden supply (Like the "Rose and Bloom") spray.
Merrit is the trade name for Imacloprid (I know I just butchered the spelling so look it up later). But it is very effective on scale and mealies.

Interesting though, that even though its a systemic, it apparently does not transfer into the flower spikes. So you still need some direct contact with the mealies on flowers.

How about the SucraShield thru Ray, suppose to be effective on all soft body insects?

Part of the problem with mealie bugs is that they can colonize the root system, making it particularly difficult to eradicate lithe population.

I highly recommend adding Enstar AQ to the insecticide application, as it prevents the maturation of all stages of the critter's development, so it cannot breed.

Enstar is o.k., but Orthene Wettable Powder 97% is a systemic that you can
drench through the potting medium with no need to spray. It stinks and
it's probably dangerous to use inside unless you have a garage or some place to move the plants to until the Orthene dries. However, you'll never
see mealies again...ever. A large-ish can is about $18.00 and lasts practically forever.

1) No, I don't, Dot. It is expensive; Google is your friend.

2) Angela, Enstar is not an alternative, it is an adjunct to insecticides. I have seen no data that tells me how long a systemic insecticide stays active in the plant, and I have no doubt that it varies by chemical and plant, so maybe it is ineffective by the time a newly-laid egg hatches. If it has been exposed to the IGR however, it's not going to mature, so it has been taken out of the repopulation equation.

I have seen much quicker infestation eradication when using it with insecticides - including Orthene - than using them alone.

I don't know very much about Enstar's effectiveness. I do know that Orthene does the job and is much less expensive. I don't have to use it very much just because it's so effective. I do drench newly bought and
repotted plants once with Cleary's and then wait a week and do a drench
with Orthene...or vice versa if I'm suspicious. I like to pull out the big guns rather than struggle with less effective methods. I've even gotten
used to the smell as long as I vacate the greenhouse quickly! :>)

Eric, do real men choke up and fall over in the house???? Sometimes your comments
make my day a bit funnier. Thank you for that.

I have been using a 2nd generation synthetic chlorinated pyrethrin, Decathalon WP. I started using it as a WP (wettable powder) alternative to Mavrik. Mavrik is also a chlorinated synthetic pyrethrin. Both are not too expensive. But I never use them alone. I always add Enstar to the mixture. It is the combo that is very effective. I have been able to go as much as 18 months between spraying. Two applications, about 10 days apart, and the collection is clean.
My Source:

http://www.hummert.com

Decathalon has a lot less odor than Mavrik

Given the value of your collection, you should not limit yourself to $50 or less, spend the money on something that works. Get the 'good stuff', and save your plants.

By the way, there are many chemicals that do work. Some of the other suggestions were quite good. Yes, Orthene can work, I don't like that I have to keep re-applying it. Apparently locally we have some critters resistant to Orthene, two applications does not completely clean up the collection.

Back