Protected by moss

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don t know reasons, what and why. I m just curious about your experiences. Mine is that-as if- moss can give some protection against rot, these plants are growing in rockwool, in very wet conditions.IMG_20240528_141325.jpgIMG_20240528_141349.jpgIMG_20240528_141449.jpgIMG_20240528_141640.jpg

I don't know much, but someone told me once that moss is a sign of using very pure water. Maybe since you don't have to repot as much using rockwool, it just isn't disturbed and is allowed to grow more? I love getting green moss in my pots. It's beautiful!
Would be really nice if it also protected against rot. Maybe so!

Choose one (or both):

1) Growth of moss protects plans from rot.
2) The growth of moss indicates the plants (orchids & moss) are receiving the proper culture, and does not favor rot.

I’m happy when moss develops on the surface or the rockwool on my phrags. The plants seem to enjoy growing with the moss. I’ve been known to remove moss from the surface when repotting and adding it to the surface of the new pot.

Interesting, but I don't think there is enough information in that paper to conclude that _all_ species of moss are antimicrobial. In the vast world of evolution, I'd be very careful to say all of anything does anything...

But, I agree for the most part. That moss is a sign of good water. Be very careful, at some point it starts sheeting water off the top, and not letting water through to the mix. I've learned that the hard way a couple of times.

There is a speech: when the moss is growing the orchid does too.
I find it true, when ever i saw a culture were the moss grow healthy. No matter if mounted or on pods.

I’m happy when moss develops on the surface or the rockwool on my phrags. The plants seem to enjoy growing with the moss. I’ve been known to remove moss from the surface when repotting and adding it to the surface of the new pot.
I’m avoiding repotting my sole plant in rockwool only because of its beautiful moss top. I’ve shared the moss with other plants but seem to need that whole rockwool layer for it to grow. At any rate, now, that one plant is an experiment on how long I can go before repotting…( all my other phrags are now in an orchiata mix that has some grodan dispersed throughout.)

Interesting about the anti microbial tendencies….

Back