Propane advantage?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
OK, this may be a bit bonkers, but...I've had a few issues with my electricity in the greenhouse recently, so have spent a bit of time heating with just propane rather than my usual electric fans. I could swear that in just the 5 days or so the plants had propane heat, they put on a real growth spurt having been fairly static for the last few months. Is this something that happens (because of extra CO2 and H2O presumably), or am I completely imagining it?

Thank you!

Alex

Sorry, none, just a real subjective impression...hence the worry that this is a bit bonkers. What objective measures of growth do we have anyway, unless you are given to measuring leaves? Actually, the plants that seem to show changes are those close to the heater, so it *could* be a local temperature effect rather than anything else...but temperature-wise things are not very different than before.

Its the season Alex. Spring is coming and the plants know it:) Its the same store here in Norway. I started with a new fertiliser a few weeks ago and now everything is growing like mad. But I know, its the season.;)

A lot of my plants have been "waking up" in the last week or so, too. The sun is getting stronger and we're having more clear, cloudless days....although, still horribly cold...(minus) -26*C tonight and a high of only (minus) -18*C tomorrow! The plants respond to the better light very quickly. I've even got a few Vandas that have suddenly begun turning red from the strong light. They're just not used to it. Very fast growing plants like my Fuschias are suddenly this week growing flower buds like mad. Last week there were no buds to be seen.

All that being said, if your burners are efficient and you are getting lots of CO2 as by-product, it can't hurt. After all, it is an essential molecule needed by all plants to live and grow. I'd think that extra CO2, right at the time when the increased light is triggering the plants to begin growing, must be helping speed that process along.

I'm having to supplement my greenhouse with propane now thru this very cold period. The bad thing about propane is that it blasts the orchid buds. The good thing is that the orchids remain alive.

Thank you, everyone, a diversity of opinions it seems! Bcostello, propane shouldn't blast buds if ventilation is OK, have you checked yours is good?

Back