Platanthera and Spiranthes in Newfoundland

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddybear

Awarded Stud
Reaction score
I made a trip to my favourite orchid bog today...rather late in the season but I still managed to get a few orchids that were still in good condition.

Platanthera blephariglottis

DSCN1863.jpg

DSCN1812.jpg

Platanthera X andrewsii - natural hybrid between P. psycodes and P. lacera. This one can backcross and look like an alba psycodes but the dark pollinia will give them away!

DSCN1840.jpg

DSCN1849.jpg

Platanthera clavellata

DSCN1853.jpg

Spiranthes romanzoffiana

DSCN1567.jpg

And Platanthera psycodes taken last week when I was in the Tablelands of western Newfoundland. The rock is serpentine...rather toxic to most plants but I did see about a dozen psycodes growing among the rocks.

DSCN1548.jpg

nice spot and pics! have you ever seen flowers that look like orange-ish platanthera lacera but have a slightly different shape which look they could be blephariglottis x lacera hybrids? plants I saw in central ny were near where lacera was growing, but while lacera had lots of seed pods on the stems, the 'orange white' ones had almost no seed pods

Wonderful! Seeing such natural beauty makes me feel sad when thinking of the possible environmental collapse for which we may be headed.

Latest posts

Back