native orchids at grant fen (plus lots more)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
was going to post these many pictures after the hinckley reservoir and trip pics, but the orchid club isp servers were down so didn't bother editing to upload.

before I got over to hinckley reservoir the other day and was driving around back back roads, I stopped by what's known as the 'grant fen', which is a nature conservancy holding just east of hinckley reservoir not far from the park/swimming area there and very close to the grant hotel. there are some unusual wildflowers that ken hull would know the names of much better than I, but there are at least eight orchids that can be found from year to year either in the holding or just bordering it. right now bog candles, spiranthes romanzoffiana, club spur orchis and lesser purple fringed orchids can be found in flower there. just west of the boundary is a sandy bank that has some unusual club mosses and things like that, and if you look around you can usually find less than a dozen of the northern slender ladies tresses flowering right about now. earlier in the season you can usually find showy ladyslippers, bog candles and the occasional pink ladyslipper on spots where there is more acidic soil as opposed to the usual wet, calcareous spots.

one of the problems with nature conservancy holdings and others like them, is that there often is no hunting allowed in their boundaries. I don't state this because of a driving need to go out and shoot bambi, but that the neighbors hunt the deer outside the boundaries so they have learned that if they stay inside, they are safe. this of course is a big problem for showy ladyslippers because deer find their buds and flowers to be very tasty. if you happen to see where a flower was torn off from the top of the stem, don't automatically assume that a person has picked the flower off; if the cut is ragged and looks pretty uneven it's from deer teeth. usually people make cleaner cuts to flower stems than do herbivores.

grantfenfawn710.JPG

when I first stepped on the bank near the n.c. land, a brightly-spotted deer fawn jumped up and stood sideways looking at me. it was in a prime spot for me to get a picture of it, except for the fact that my camera was inside my camera bag, zipped inside of my backpack. I wasn't carrying my camera outside the pack because of the threat of impending rain showers (which waited until I was almost done taking pics). it didn't go very far, and this pic was the second time I woke it up. unfortunately this time it was behind some heavy brush

grantfen710a.JPG

northern slender ladies tresses orchid - can see white crab spider lurking behind the flowers

grantfen710b.JPG

spiranthes lacera var. gracilis (same as above)

grantfen710c.JPG

grantfen710d.JPG

grantfen710e.JPG

grantfen710f.JPG

grantfen710g.JPG

grantfen710h.JPG

grantfen710i.JPG

blue bottle gentian

grantfen710j.JPG

fairly common in calcareous wetlands. if you watch closely, you will see that the flowers are visited by energetic bumblebees! there is an opening at the top that the bees will fight to get inside; you'll then see the flower petals wiggling as the bee is trying to get the pollen or nectar, then the bee will fight it's way out to get to the next flower

grantfen710k.JPG

bunchberry or cornus canadensis

grantfen710l.JPG

lesser purple fringed orchis

... more pics posted in following replies

second batch of flower pics

grantfen710m.JPG

very light pink purple fringed orchid; this one has very cut or incised petals

grantfen710n.JPG

a spiranthes romanzoffiana

grantfen710o.JPG

a very tall purple fringed orchid

grantfen710p.JPG

spiranthes romanzoffiana

grantfen710q.JPG

grantfen710r.JPG

showy ladyslipper orchid; the two stems have been cut by deer eating the buds or flowers

grantfen710s.JPG

this showy ladyslipper orchid was missed by the deer, and the flower was pollinated. the result is a fat, healthy seed pod that will open and disperse thousands of seed this fall

grantfen710t.JPG

orchid flower stem gone to seed. likely this is either an old bog candle or a green bog orchis

grantfen710u.JPG

a very late bog candle orchid still in flower. there were a few in this area that still have un-pollinated flowers

grantfen710v.JPG

small club-spur orchis growing on a raised area of moss around a small bush

grantfen710w.JPG

tiny inchworm I noticed crawling underneath the brim of my hat

grantfen710x.JPG

spiranthes romanzoffiana lower and purple fringed orchis above

last batch of pics

grantfen710y.JPG

small swamp lobelia (not official name)

grantfen710z.JPG

grantfen710z1.JPG

grantfen710z2.JPG

grantfen710z3.JPG

grantfen710z4.JPG

goldenrod with wasp on it

grantfen710z5.JPG

grantfen710z6.JPG

I believe I was told that this plant is predatory to insects like pitcher plants and sundew (can't remember name, it's late..)

grantfen710z7.JPG

grantfen710z8.JPG

tiny non-orchid flower

grantfen710z9.JPG

the upper sandy banks had large areas covered with this moss or club moss. i've seen this type dyed green and used for scale model railroads and things like that, used to depict trees and bushes

Excellent photos!!! Especially the close ups!!!

The yellow carnivorous is Utricularia. I know it cause I wanted to purchase one from ebay...:D, but haven't so far...:(

The lobelia, what kind of plant is it? Bulbous? Annual or perrenial? TY

Neat place!

biothanasis is right, Utricularia, Bladderwort.

The "moss" looks more like lichen to me.

grantfen710m.JPG

very light pink purple fringed orchid; this one has very cut or incised petals

I wonder if this plant isn't in fact a hybrid with P. lacera. Are there any P. lacera in the area?

Very enjoyable set of photos, thank you! The S. lacera v. gracilis really is a delicate thing. I'm a bit surprised to see those gentians in flower already. Down state the species we had there (G. andrewsii) always flowered in late September/early October. I guess fall comes early to those northern mountains!

thanks for the i.d. on the reindeer lichen; when I saw that the name popped into my head.
yes, it's a bladderwort which I knew when I started editing pictures, but by the time I got to labeling things online (which was 1:30 am) it was no-where to be found.
thanasis, I don't know if it's bulbous or annual, though there is someone I could ask who would know right away. there are a good number of lobelias in the sandy and the wet areas around upstate ny. there is a beautiful one that grows in calcareous fens but flowers more around the time when the showy ladyslippers are flowering, or at least towards that time of year.

tom, I was noticing how cut those purple fringed orchids looked and was wondering myself about the possibility of lacera hybridization. i've never seen them in that area, but there is so much damp land and the elevation is high, that i'm sure it's around. I also wonder about other purple fringed that are in that fen, because the flowers are extremely tiny. down the road are others that grow amongst graminoid 'grasses' in roadside slowly moving waters, that look more 'normal'. the first purple fringed orchid pic really does look like a purple platanthera lacera (maybe a little nicer...)

Last edited:
Super Super neat photos! This made my day, since I haven't been able to get out hiking with my new job :(

Thanks so much for posting!

Also, I thought the very same thing about the Platanthera (that they could be psycodes x lacera)

Great shots!!!

Was able to see Lobelia cardinalis Saturday along the Delaware and a couple of it's tributaries. Never seen it growing there before.

For anyone who's interested, the Utricularia pictured should be U. cornuta

Back