Pics of phrag addiction !

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Eric, your not alone;) There are others:eek:..14 in bloom in the sunroom, some underlights or in other windows. These are in my "grow room" and are my prized ones or are in spike and too big to be anywhere else ! I am finding this year , that I am seeing blooms every 6 months !! They stay in bloom so long that the new growths mature and bada bing they bloom again !! Lots of spikes as you can see from the pictures. My grow room faces N. ,so you will see some at the top near the glass, one layer of shade cloth in the winter, 2 in the summer+some lattice. Lots of air movement ALL the time.

DSCI0433.jpg

DSCI0434.jpg

DSCI0438.jpg

wow... now only if my phrags are listening to me... since you're so successful, a Q for you. if daytime temps are still summerlike while nighttime drops are still greater than 10 degrees, will that hinder spiking?

wow... now only if my phrags are listening to me... since you're so successful, a Q for you. if daytime temps are still summerlike while nighttime drops are still greater than 10 degrees, will that hinder spiking?

I don't think so, but I'm no expert ! :) Mine have experienced the "normal" swing of summer and fall temp swings that we have had . 80's during the day to upper 50's at night, and they are still spiking !

Gilda...WoW....those all look awesome!!!!.....question though LOL how do you get in there to water them all? looks like it would be hard to make sure they are all getting water since the ones on the table in the one pic look like a dense forest of growth

Todd

Gilda...WoW....those all look awesome!!!!.....question though LOL how do you get in there to water them all? looks like it would be hard to make sure they are all getting water since the ones on the table in the one pic look like a dense forest of growth

Todd

I have water access in the grow room and a small hose wand the easily gets between the pots. There is "some":D room in between the pots that I can access with the wand. I also have a step stool for the ones on the shelf..hose reaches there too ! I am a stickler about water dripping on the phrags though and am very careful or try to be .:)

Oh , and in the last pic where you see the red crate, that "tray" actually is on wheels and I roll it out when I want to water the ones on top or in the back. I have an identical one on the right side( my genius of a hubby created these, so I could have 4 more sq. feet of growing area !!) HA! HA! little did he know he created a phrag monster !!:rollhappy:

Oh, wow, what fantastically beautiful plants! (Where are the blackened leaf tips that I know so well, lol??) And what an inspiration that you are in Tennessee, too, there is hope for me!! Seriously, a fine collection, thanks so much for sharing! Most of my phrags are in bloom right now, but badly in need of repotting, which will have to wait until the blooms fade. I am growing them under t5 fluorescents (very bright) and so far so good.

Nice show Gilda. Now I know where to go when I need advice! I have a Q now: what's in the wire basket with the moss??

Nice show Gilda. Now I know where to go when I need advice! I have a Q now: what's in the wire basket with the moss??

Those are my armeniacums and micranthums..after seeing someone(can't rem. who) grow a fantastic micranthum this method I thought I would give it a try. The moss lined basket has bark mix in the center. This method allows the stolons to wander where they want to and you sre suppose to only have to add mix as it breaks down.
My plants seem to be doing much better after switching to this method, but it's only been 6 months or so.

I missed this post so better late than never I guess. Great looking phrags! Mine are doing much better but yours look great! I'm looking to try "barko" soon.

e-spice

I might as well add to this thread too! Gilda, how are your wire basket armeniacums and micranthums doing?? Are ant of the stolens pocking out of the sides?

I might as well add to this thread too! Gilda, how are your wire basket armeniacums and micranthums doing?? Are ant of the stolens pocking out of the sides?

Rick,
I have one stolen poking out the side on one of the larger baskets. I will try and get a pic. They have faired better with this method of growing but they sure are slow growing ,and I wonder if I will ever see a bloom !! Are yours going gang busters , stolens ?

Very awesome growing Gilda!!

Do you ever spike your water with Epson Salts?

I finally got around to moving my armeniacum into a basket ( I think 12/08). When I took it out of the pot there were already a few pot bound stolons that have continued to grow, and a few new ones now too. Growth is looking pretty good with this plant right now.

Back