physiological problem?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
Hello,

Here is a paph philippinense (supposed to be a seedgrown palawanense) that is growing fast and furious, but never bloomed... I have tried everything but no bud. I've been growing it for more than 3 years now (bought as a FS plant)

P1030461.JPG

Have you ever seen such problem on that species and is there an explanation?

thank you. :)

Yes - I've heard of this syndrome -
Probably Not a Blooming Size plant at time of purchase Syndrome.
Be patient - it looks great!

Yes! The plant is obviously happy in your care, so it may not feel the need to reproduce. I agree with Goldenrose. Be patient! And maybe buy another one that's more floriferous. I have a big masdevallia ignea that I bought years ago and it has never flowered and another one a third of the size right beside it that has flowered at least five times in the last 18 months.

Your plant looks great, it most likely just needs time. Threaten it, it will bloom.

I'm just an orchid newbie, but your statement may have more merit than you think. I have always believed that it is only Darwin logic that plants respond by flowering to assure the species is maintained when they sense their life is threatened by drought, cold, or other adverse sense of pending death during their life cycle. Maybe it is just too comfortable living with you....:p

I'm just an orchid newbie, but your statement may have more merit than you think. I have always believed that it is only Darwin logic that plants respond by flowering to assure the species is maintained when they sense their life is threatened by drought, cold, or other adverse sense of pending death during their life cycle. Maybe it is just too comfortable living with you....:p

OR when the plant is big and fat enough to produce many many good seeds, it blooms so it is not yet that big enough :rollhappy::p

put it next to the garbage can. or say that you are donating it to a newbie...it works
Nice plump leaves BTW.
I do have BS plants that seem to sit there, but none this size yet

Maybe give it more light. I've read that in its natural environment, phillipinense gets so much light the leaves are more a yellow colour. Others with your problem have put there plant outside in the blazing sunlight with some success.

David

I remember Paul Phillips (Ratcliffe) telling about a philippinense plant they had that wouldn't bloom. He said he got disgusted, threw it under the bench and forgot about it. It bloomed.

OK, one says more light, one says less. Another says threaten it.....Maybe you can scare it by dividing it in 2, put one half in higher light, the other half under the bench in low light!

OK, one says more light, one says less. Another says threaten it.....Maybe you can scare it by dividing it in 2, put one half in higher light, the other half under the bench in low light!
:rollhappy:
Or just keep doing what you are doing, growing it well. The people at MSU who formulated their fertilizer said that if you grow a plant well, giving it proper nitrogen fertilizer, it will bloom. (My words -- they said that in connection with the so-called "bloom-booster" fertilizer. Their research showed that proper nitrogen ratios = good blooms.)

This logic is common, and yes, plants do perform "death blooms", but biologically, a healthy plant getting the "correct" conditions would be more likely to carry a seed pod "to term" successfully. It is evolutionarily and energetically more efficient for healthy plants to have successful offspring.

Additionally, consider when temperate trees bloom... early spring lotsa times before significant rainfall and before daylength is restored. Pink magnolias and many other trees and shrubs bloom in mid to late February here (Chicago). They are responding to environmental cues typical for their environment. And it's good to have fruits bearing when the critters are waking up/moving back to disperse seed. Humans consider cold, drought, etc as "stress"; plants see them as cues. You just need to realize what cue(s) you're missing.

So, you probably aren't providing the proper cues for it to bloom. Try some of the sugestions listed here. Since philippinense is reported to occur in bright light up to full sun, I doubt you're giving it too little light though.

Our top two reasons why plants don't bloom are
1) light intensity- blooming requires tons of energy, light "gives" plants energy; not enough light = not enough energy
and
2) night time temp drop- respiration = energy usage = energy loss, so slow respiration by reducing night temp to help retain energy stores.

All this being said, sometimes you just get a stinker of a plant. When this happens, divide it, keep a nice chunk, and donate the rest to SlipperTalk (or your local orchid society) as a fund raiser. If your division still fails to bloom, move it closer and closer to the trash can and forget about it. The "stress" of you ignoring it can be the key to its failure to bloom.

-Ernie

ok thank you all!!
I will try two things after reading your messages:
1 - highest light as possible (top of the greenhouse, then full sun outside during summer with little care)
2 - more nitrogen: 28-14-14 fertilizer only at 1g/L rate

I will tell you if I see a bud some day ... lol

Paul,
I've seen this with Phals. They form huge clumps and rarely bloom. If they do bloom, it's short spikes and lot of them. A bushing flowering plant!

I agree with both Erics and Rick.

I think your plant is basically immature - not by much - and is setting itself up to become a spectacular specimen.

Also, I don't have as much paph expertise as many here, but wouldn't more nitrogen favor vegetative growth, potentially suppressing blooming?

I would agree with Ray. High nitrogen fertilizer promotes vegetative growth, not flowering.

Back