Phragmipedium schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm? Did some more looking.....

For reference: Here's a link to other threads on Cardinale 'Wilcox', here at ST.

http://http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2610334

Although, some threads have it named schlimii 'Wilcox' or Sedenii 'Wilcox'; (two common mistakes); they are all divisions of the same plant....Cardinale 'Wilcox'. Notice that the Staminode Shields on all the others have small side "wings" that extend down below the centre point of the Staminode Shield; unlike the Staminode Shield on Phraggy's flower. Also, notice that the inside rim of the pouch on all the others is spotted, not covered in rich, saturated colour.

So, now I'm waffling again. Maybe this is a selfing of Cardinale 'Wilcox' and the "x self" part on the tag has been lost, or faded; or, it didn't get carried over when a new tag was written, etc.? If Cardinale 'Wilcox' had been selfed, the genes would remix and the offspring would show variation and characteristics not seen on the mother plant. They would not be "carbon copies" of the mother plant. Some would actually have more schlimii genes in them and others would have more longifolium genes. In this case, this flower seems to have gotten more colour genes from the schlimii side and more of the form genes from the longifolium side. The Staminode Shield in particular shows an increased longifolium influence in terms of shape.

What about the hairy arm pits? If the Wilcox clone has hairy pits then they must be blonde. How big is this flower?

Thankyou for all your responses. Here is a pic of the same plant taken last March. I don't know much regarding the breeding of this plant it was a one off purchased for me from Burnham Nurseries UK. The flowers measure just 2.5" x 2.25".
Ed

Attachments

• dsc00001001.jpg
    dsc00001001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 21
I believe it is labled correctly. I am still very surprised that it's such a small plant. I have never seen any (out of about 50) less than 20" and 5-10 growths.

I believe it is labled correctly. I am still very surprised that it's such a small plant. I have never seen any (out of about 50) less than 20" and 5-10 growths.
This has got 4 growths and I've had it 4 years. I water 24/7 and only feed
twice per year. maybe this is why it's not growing any larger ---I think I prefer it to remain small.
Thanks Eric,
Ed

Wonderful!
And, if you look at phraggy's Nicholle Tower - photographs, you know he does grow them very well...

Thankyou for all your responses. Here is a pic of the same plant taken last March. I don't know much regarding the breeding of this plant it was a one off purchased for me from Burnham Nurseries UK. The flowers measure just 2.5" x 2.25".
Ed

Holy crap, Phraggy! That is a gorgeous flower! I've come around to this being Cardinale; but, I'm not convinced that it's the 'Wilcox' clone. I think your original photo at the beginning of this thread must be of a newly opened flower that had not quite finished maturing. Because 'Wilcox' is so common, odds are that if your plant is not the actual 'Wilcox' clone, it's a selfing of 'Wilcox' and that's why the tag has 'Wilcox' on it. The "x self" part was either never put on, or it has faded away. I say that I don't believe that it's a division of 'Wilcox' because your flowers are consistently far better than 'Wilcox'! They have much deeper colour and slightly different form. I've now seen your photo at the beginning of this thread and the photo of the blooming last March; plus, I found another photo of this clone, taken by you, on a UK forum. The deep colour (pouch and "hairy armpits" :p) and Staminode shape, as well as the slightly sharper upper edge to the pouch, are all consistently the same.

You've got a great plant there. Take good care of it and grow it up into a specimen. You'll have us all drooling all over our keyboards!:drool:

p.s. Eric, I've got a bunch of single and double-growth divisions of Cardinale 'Wilcox', with smallish leaf spans that are budding now. But, they did all come from a single monster plant, which is, as you say, the way we usually see this clone.

Latest posts

Back