Phragmipedium schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The colour is outstanding and the contrast between the white and coloured portions is very distinct. It's a great flower! However, I DO NOT think it's even Cardinale. Cardinale has a very smooth, rounded rim on the pouch and the petals tend to not be quite so pointed. The pouch rim has a very un-Cardinale sharp edge to it. I believe that this is a Cardinale hybrid; but, what is the other parent? It could be schlimii x Calurum. A lot of Sedenii's (schlimii x longifolium), out there are actually Calurum (longifolium x Sedenii). If the parent thought to be Sedenii, was actually Calurum, which has more longifolium in it's lineage, then, I'd expect a flower like this. I checked on PhragWeb and it seems that schlimii x Calurum has not yet been registered and given a name yet.

Looking back over my records this is Phrag. Cardinale 'Wilcox'
Ed

That is definitely not the 'Wilcox' clone of Cardinale. As I said, I don't think it's Cardinale either; but, it certainly is not the 'Wilcox' clone. Before you got the plant, someone decided to embellish the name tag. Too bad. It's an awesome flower. It's real name would be a LOT more useful.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8108&highlight=wilcox
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10868&highlight=wilcox
Neither of these is Schroderae or Sedenii, i think they may be Cardinales. Maybe the original photo is not Wilcox but remember it is only a small (10"!!!) plant.

Thanks Eric. I had a look at the photos at your links, as well as I googled and I looked at my own photos of Cardinale. I'm going to backpedal a bit here. Phraggy has posted just 1 photo and as we've seen many times in the past, culture can change a lot. The colour of Phraggy's flower is outstanding.....from the rich, saturated pouch to the raspberry fuzz at the base of the petals. It's a serious bit of Phrag eye candy! However, I think that I may have forgotten what a difference culture can make in the "look" of a flower. If this is Cardinale...and indeed, if it really is a division of 'Wilcox', then it is being grown exceptionally well by Phraggy. I can't explain why the pouch rim is so sharp; but, I have noticed in my research that the pouch rim of Cardinale is not quite as smooth as I had remembered. There is a little bit of an edge to it. Perhaps Phraggy has nice cool conditions with the correct balance of light, feed and water to bring out the best colour in this flower and these conditions just happen to enhance the edge around the rim of the pouch. At first glance, it looks like Cardinale....and even after close scrutiny, it still looks more like a Cardinale than anything else. So, maybe it really is Cardinale ('Wilcox'?) and it's young age and recent environmental conditions have produced this richly coloured slightly more "angular" flower than the normally seen form of Cardinale. If it were mine....and without any other evidence to the contrary, I would keep the label as it is; while at the same time not missing any opportunities to view other Cardinale 'Wilcox's for reference. It would be interesting to know if Phraggy has seen other divisions of the same plant that are being bloomed by other growers. Are they the same; or, are there any differences?

Latest posts

Back