Phragmipedium Rachel Kirk

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrag-Plus

Reaction score
RK2.jpg

From OW: Phragmipedium Rachel Kirk = Phragmipedium Don Wimber x Phragmipedium besseae

87.5% besseae & 12.5% longifolium

Beautiful, JP!

From OW: Phragmipedium Rachel Kirk = Phragmipedium Don Wimber x Phragmipedium besseae

Beautiful, JP!

I'm so glad! That is a very good observation Joanne! :clap:
At this rate it is almost a pure besseae don't wonder why it look like it.

I've never seen a Rachel Kirk, but google images shows something much like a Don Wimber.

self-pollination a possibility?

No self pollinisation, Don Wimber was the pod parent in my no. 174 cross.

But here, this is not the most bizarre thing! This is the result of a Don Wimber (made with reguliar red Eric young x besseae flava = 50% flavum + 25% red besseae )
X besseae flava . Just to show us than even at a real low rate the dominant coloration still there.
I've made that cross for alba form and this is the first one to bloom. But I’m still looking for alba form to come out from this cross.

Beautiful, JP!

Thanks Joanne. The longifolium seems to have completely disappeared. However, if Don Wimber was the capsule parent, then, it can't be an accidental selfing of a besseae. Genetics always surprise me!

I remember paramount orchids had Scarlet O'hara, which is %12.5 sargentianum. They looked like besseae, (or maybe very similar) but it was two years ago so my memory might be fuzzy. and they don't sell them anymore in their catalogue.

Thanks Joanne. The longifolium seems to have completely disappeared. However, if Don Wimber was the capsule parent, then, it can't be an accidental selfing of a besseae. Genetics always surprise me!

It still surprise me too this is the most funny game for me, trying to understand genentic inheritance in Phragmipediums. A real pleasure!

I remember paramount orchids had Scarlet O'hara, which is %12.5 sargentianum. They looked like besseae, (or maybe very similar) but it was two years ago so my memory might be fuzzy. and they don't sell them anymore in their catalogue.

You understand now why I don't like to play 'guess what my plant is'!
Sometime it is very subtle if anybody see the sargentianum in this cross they will say it's a misidentification and will guess it's a pure besseae, but it is not... For an amator it is not to bad, but when you are trying to understand the genentic in hybridization it is a real mess...

Maybe the Don Wimber was really a besseae? :poke:

Seriously that is very pretty but looks exactly like besseae to me. I have several Rachel Kirks and there are none of them you would mistake for a besseae.

e-spice

Latest posts

Back