Phragmipedium pearcei var.ecuadorense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compact

Ok - As a grower for 20 years - do you think its a seperate species ? - john. - Somebody has to be right - this is a great picture of a species consistant over 20 years - pearcei is not as grass like -j

Ok - As a grower for 20 years - do you think its a seperate species ? - john. - Somebody has to be right - this is a great picture of a species consistant over 20 years - pearcei is not as grass like -j

I do have in my collection few plant labelled ecuadorense and pearcei, all of them were labelled like that when I got it from a serious enthousiast who quit growing orchid at that time.
The ecuadorense do have smaller flowers and the petals are more on the side of the flower (like caricinum) compare to the 45 degres we find on pearcei petals. Pearcei are often more twisted too if I'm comparing mine. The scape is more compact too and the leaves are very thin and grasslike too...
I do have a clone with maximum 10 cm high leaves, it is my smalest specie in my collection.

Thanks Jean - I guess I'll have too find a compact plant and say its Equi.john

The nomenclature of Phrag. pearcei and ecuadorense is a mess.

Botanically (and technically):
The miniature plant that we call Phrag. pearcei var. ecuadorense (a.k.a. Phrag. ecuadorense), is actually pearcei. The larger plant with larger flowers, more twisted petals and often with ruffles on the petal margins, that we call Phrag. pearcei is actually a hybrid with some amount of boisserianum in it. There is a lot of natural hybridizing that goes on between pearcei and boisserianum. Therefore, large "hybrid swarms" exist in the wild. Each plant has the potential to contain differing amounts of pearcei genes and boisserianum genes because of generations of backcrossing or sibbing. Wild Phrag. pearcei x boisserianum simply look like more robust versions of the smaller, pure pearcei....they were called pearcei and therefore, because of their more impressive size, they were favoured as exhibition plants.

Horticulturally, what we call ecuadorense doesn't actually exist. There is no real "var. ecuadorense"....it is pearcei and what we call pearcei has actually got some amount of boisserianum "blood" in it. However, because ecuadorense has been accepted as a valid species by the RHS Orchid Hybrid Registrar, the horticultural world will never get away from perpetuating the notion that ecuadorense exists and pearcei is the bigger cousin. Like I said, it's a mess.

In order to try and keep the genepool pure, as horticulturalists, we all should simply keep refering to the true pearcei (which is really the miniature plant), as ecuadorense....and we should continue refering to the larger, natural-hybrid-origin plants as pearcei, simply to keep them separated from the genetically pure miniature plants (which we call ecuadorense; but, really are pearcei). If we decide to go with the botanical explanation that ecuadorense does not exist....and we call all the small type plants and all the large type plants just pearcei, people will interbreed them, which will dilute and destroy the pure gene pool of the smaller type plants.

paph ecuadorense

Thanks John - and as Paul Harvey would say - " thats the rest of the story " John

The nomenclature of Phrag. pearcei and ecuadorense is a mess.
Botanically (and technically):
The miniature plant that we call Phrag. pearcei var. ecuadorense (a.k.a. Phrag. ecuadorense), is actually pearcei....
QUOTE]

Very interesting John,
The pearcei I’m mentioning here are not the richterii, but I do agree with you than there is some misidentification between pearcei and richterii on the market...
The pearcei I have in my collection are a little bit bigger than my ecuadorense but not as big as richterii...
And other point, RHS do not "recognise" the variety ecuadorense it is that why when I did registered my cross they told me than they keep only pearcei for the registration.
I do understand an agreeing than keeping the name could maintain some confusion, but as I can see in litterature the taxonomy may change again one day and I do prefer to keep it as it is...

And other point, RHS do not "recognise" the variety ecuadorense it is that why when I did registered my cross they told me than they keep only pearcei for the registration.

Part of the problem is that the RHS changes their mind now and then. They used to recognize ecuadorense as a separate species; but, now they don't. I registered the cross Nitidissimum x ecuadorense as Phrag. Simon Marcotte. .....And, they also let someone else register Nitidissimum x pearcei as Phrag. Fire Star. Now, they're saying that ecuadorense is just a variety of pearcei. Maybe next year, they'll change their mind again!

Latest posts

Back