Phragmipedium medium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dot, I'm still a bit confused.

If you were unable to fill the pots (and I'm quite sure that was the reason for your lack of success with s/h), how can you water with pots that the water drains right through?
It takes a lot more water to fill s/h pots and let them drain out than it does to water into a mix that absorbs most of it. Remember, I'm not using a hose, but a watering can with a snout. I can direct the water over all the surface of the media and stop the watering when the water begins running out all the holes.

Gotcha. Makes sense now.

Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome, Ray. BTW, I still have my awarded Phrag Grouville in S/H (remember?), but I found that diatomite works better for me than does PrimeAgra -- probably because of the way I water.

Hope I didn't negate everything I said by that last statement. I have about 10 Phrags in S/H and the rest of my collection (115 + seedlings) in diatomite/CHC in regular pots.

Oh, I remember. As a matter of fact, it is the first flower photo I use in my s/h presentation, as it was the first awarded plant grown that way, as far as I can tell!

It bloomed really well the next time and got another AOS, and then the plant almost died. It's coming back, I'm pleased to say.

Latest posts

Back