phragmipedium manzurii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Rick. This worked for me just fine today, though not last night. It did take a long time, for some reason, for the document to load. This is an interesting document, with all the data including the area it comes from. Thanks!

The article describes the species and shows a couple of nice photos of two different clones. It is a very lovely flower and should provide some new avenues for hybridizing. It is already being reproduced artificially so it will be available over the next few years.

We heard an interesting presentation on this, andreetae, fischeri, and schlimii at the Paph Guild meeting this year from Eric Christensen. He commented that they all seem to be forms of schlimii representing a gradation from very strongly colored (fischeri) to very lightly colored (andreetae), and that the differences prescribed in the various taxonomic treatments pertaining to staminode shape and (what a terrible choice of taxonomic characters) petal wavy-ness and petal shape are quite variable within each of these "species". It's pretty evident you can find schlimiis with wavy and non-wavy, oblong or rounded, flat and recurved petals...not a very good distinctive trait to separate one species from the next. Of course, these are just Dr. Christensen's opinions...but he is a pretty reputable taxonomist.

I dunno...I don't grow any of them :)
Give me a paph any day!!

-Tim

Tim,

I think you are referring to a lumper versus a splitter. The same observations can be seen within Paphiopedilum also, i.e. section Cochlepetalum - they are all variations on the same theme but differ in varying respects.

Lumpers vs Splitters - as a bird watcher, all birds can be labelled with one of 4 official bird names. Little Brown Bird, Medium Brown Bird, Big Brown Bird and Big White Bird. Swans & Egrets, Eagles & Vultures, Warblers and Sparrows, robins & jays, all are good examples of the 4 species of bird. Most of the time - that's good enough for me.

now we just have to work out a similar scheme for slippers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back