• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Phragmipedium Kovachii Wanted!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bonsaiorchid1

Hey guys, i was just browsing by and decided to post a wanted listing. I was wondering if anyone here had any phragmipedium kovachiis that they are selling or are willing to part with. I am looking for a true kovachii, not a hybrid, particularly one that is about a year away from flowering. If you know where i can find one or if you have one to sell, don't hesitate to contact me back. Thank you!

-Bonsai

I am not from Australia to answer your question NYEric. Do you have a kovachii for sale by any chance? I am still looking, and don't want to spend a fortune for an orchid that i know may not make it!

I am not from Australia to answer your question NYEric. Do you have a kovachii for sale by any chance? I am still looking, and don't want to spend a fortune for an orchid that i know may not make it!

If you are new to growing orchids, and don't want to spend a fortune, you should first try ones that are somewhat easier to grow. Both the Phrag. kovachii, and the Paph sanderainum that you are looking for, are probably one of the most expensive and "hardest" orchids to grow...The hybrids are a lot easier and cheaper...We would probably be selling a kovachii that is one year away from blooming for at least $800 - $1,000. A blooming to near blooming size first generation kovachii hybrid can probably be found for $ 100 - 150 or less..

Robert

If you are new to growing orchids, and don't want to spend a fortune, you should first try ones that are somewhat easier to grow. Both the Phrag. kovachii, and the Paph sanderainum that you are looking for, are probably one of the "hardest" orchids and most expensive ones to grow...The hybrids are a lot easier and cheaper...We would probably be selling a kovachii that is one year away from blooming for at least $800 - $1,000. A blooming to near blooming size first generation kovachii hybrid can probably be found for $ 150 or less..

Robert

For a sanderianum alternative, get a Michael Koopowitz or Angel Hair. Both are 50% sanderianum, and much easier to grow (and some would argue more attractive since the petals don't reflex back as much, though petal length is shorter). I got a in spike Michael Koopowitz for $75 a few years ago.

For a sanderianum alternative, get a Michael Koopowitz or Angel Hair. Both are 50% sanderianum, and much easier to grow (and some would argue more attractive since the petals don't reflex back as much, though petal length is shorter). I got a in spike Michael Koopowitz for $75 a few years ago.

I agree! Paph. Michael Koopowitz (especially the ones made with philippinense var. roebelenii) is one of my favorite Paph. sanderianum hybrids, and gets petals that are almost just as long as a straight Paph. sanderianum. Also way easier to grow!

Robert

I do like those species, but again, very particular. I really would only like to have a kovachii not a hybrid, and a true sanderianum. I can already grow chiu hua dancer and feel that i am ready for these kind of tough breeds. I just hope i can find them...

I do like those species, but again, very particular. I really would only like to have a kovachii not a hybrid, and a true sanderianum. I can already grow chiu hua dancer and feel that i am ready for these kind of tough breeds. I just hope i can find them...

Hmmm.. Where have we seen this before? :eek:

We still don't know where you are from, but I'm assuming that you are from the US.

Here is the current price of P. kovachii from Peruflora:

Size 1 (4" leaf span seedling) $90
Size 2 (med. bloomed plant) $130
Size 3 (large bloomed plant) $240

Flask was $50 for 5 plants last year when I got them.

getting cheaper and cheaper.

P. sanderianum $20 from C&H.
http://www.carterandholmes.com/Merc...PROD&Product_Code=8015-8017/25&Category_Code=

we're ok unless it starts turning into discussion of robot dogs.

LOL!!! Literally spit out my coffee after reading this. :rollhappy: Now I have to clean my keyboard.

As for the difficulty of Phrag kovachii. I find it hard to grow but you may grow it better than me if you are able to provide perfect conditions for it. Definitely get the #3 Large bloom plant.

Sorry about the location guys... Las Vegas, Nevada. I will definitely start looking into these sites. But, if anyone else here owns one and is willing to part with it, i am always here!

Back