Phragmipedium hincksianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you see the differences to longifolium, Jean-Pierre. hincksianum is seen as synonym of this species.
Here the description and a picture of the plant and the details.
hincksianum - La Semaine Horticole 496 - 27. okt.jpghincksianum - Zeichnung La Semaine Horticole 499 - 27. okt 1900.jpghincksianum - Detail Zeichnung N.E. Brown Kew 1889.jpg

N.E. Brown thought that it is Phrag. longifolium var. roezlii, perhaps the flowers were redder.

I agree with Olaf. Phrag. hicksianum is synonymous with longifolium. Not sure, outside of commercial interests, who recognizes this as a species anymore. Phragmipedium hincksianum was described based on a plant that flowered in cultivation and was collected during an expedition to try to locate P. hartwegii. In 1979 Garay differentiated P. hincksianum based on the shape of the lip, an opening in the claw, and a notch in the anterior margin opening, which the plant in the photo lacks. Kent (1889) differentiated P. hincksianum based on “scapes shorter and bearing fewer flowers than those of the variety hartwegii, but conforming in every other respect to it.” These attributes fit nicely in the cline in variation of P. longifolium and do not present as consistent on a plant-by-plant basis within populations and are problematic given that floral parts, such as the slipper and claw, continue to develop after opening. The name hincksianum appears to have been used to describe two different things.

The plant in the photo is a very nice longifolium.

Regards,

I agree with Olaf. Phrag. hicksianum is synonymous with longifolium. Not sure, outside of commercial interests, who recognizes this as a species anymore. Phragmipedium hincksianum was described based on a plant that flowered in cultivation and was collected during an expedition to try to locate P. hartwegii. In 1979 Garay differentiated P. hincksianum based on the shape of the lip, an opening in the claw, and a notch in the anterior margin opening, which the plant in the photo lacks. Kent (1889) differentiated P. hincksianum based on “scapes shorter and bearing fewer flowers than those of the variety hartwegii, but conforming in every other respect to it.” These attributes fit nicely in the cline in variation of P. longifolium and do not present as consistent on a plant-by-plant basis within populations and are problematic given that floral parts, such as the slipper and claw, continue to develop after opening. The name hincksianum appears to have been used to describe two different things.

The plant in the photo is a very nice longifolium.

Regards,
Thanks! It is one of my favorite too! I have no problems with longifolium.
But, if it is as synonymous there is no fault to say it is a hincksianum or longifolium var. hincksianum when talking about that particular type too…?

Thanks! It is one of my favorite too! I have no problems with longifolium.
But, if it is as synonymous there is no fault to say it is a hincksianum or longifolium var. hincksianum when talking about that particular type too…?
After having read and reread Frank Cervera's worth mentioning articles on the taxonomy and ochlospecies. I agree with Olaf and Frank point and will henceforth use a 'Red Fellow' clone name to distinguish this longifolium from my other clones. What is good in life is to always learn...:)

Back