Phragmipedium anguloi, in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-novice

Reaction score
This is a recently described species. This is growing about an hour outside the city of Popayan in Southern Colombia.

Due to the very strong waterfall and turbulent pool, all these photos are from a distance, and the magnification on my lens wasn't up to the task of getting any details. But, I wanted to see how Phrags grow, now I've seen it :clap:

I saw three species growing in situ on my trip, this is the last one.

Phragmipedium anguloi, on cliff face

behind waterfall

behind waterfall

easy to miss

Phrag anguloi

Invaluable! We all owe you a beer or four:D:clap:

Thank you! Thank you!

Nice! So the fighting has stopped? (Are there blue-eyed catfish near there?
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=41)

That's what I call a plecostomus! We didn't venture into the water or try to look under it. The visibility was zero, and calling out "I see a fish!" might be the last thing you ever do. Definite drowning territory.

My guide showed me a photo of this waterfall from last year, when Colombia had its worst drought year ever, and it was a trickle. A Trickle! People were wading across this pool (small, calm) and picnicking on a beach next to the waterfall. It would have been easy to take a close up then...not to mention cut the plants out of the cliff face and sell them to nurseries, who sell them to hobbyists, etc.

Thanks for the nice pictures.
That is the original population, the one where the holotype comes from. We have discovered another 3 populations but the plants of the original one are the nicest.

What is the sub-strate? Looks like moss on karst limestone, but hard to tell....

Where I saw the three types of Phrags growing, they were all in moss. The rock underneath may have been what eteson is indicating (here, not sure that's the case for the Longifolium at Pericos), but they all had a moss and probably soil+moss substrate, primarily.

Dang! I knew I forgot something!! Didn't bring pH strips or a meter...but that is what I surmise. Sounds like eteson knows the plants and their environment and might be able to answer conclusively.

But also, I assume that water is acidic; and the one behind the waterfall is continuously drenched in it.

Any doubt phragmipediums are water and humidity lovers? Jeje

Enviado desde mi SM-G925I mediante Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back