Phragmipedium longifolium, in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-novice

Reaction score
This is in Southwest Columbia, Valle del Cauca dept, Pacific Lowlands, in a place called Pericos. It is in the Choco Bioregion, which I was told is the rainiest area in the world.

Phragmipedium longifolium, in situ

closer-up
This isn't out of focus - this is how misty this place was

Phrag longifolium
Big clump to left of waterfall, 5-6 blooms

P longfolium
This clump was growing on rocks just past the pool below waterfall. It had one older fading bloom. But this was the place to get close to the flower.

P longfolium
waterfall is on right

These plants are growing in 100% humidity, 100% of the time. Last year Colombia had a terrible drought and so these plants probably survived somewhat drier conditions than normal (smaller waterfall, less spray.) But, short of trying to grow these underwater, it seems as if our longifolium and longifolium hybrids can take as much water as we can provide.

Curiously, though, I saw some blooming plants cultivated under much drier conditions. And my guide said longifolium is the only Phrag he's flowered, and he neglects his plant so it is usually dry! Maybe that's why it's used in so many hybrids, it can take a licking and keep on ticking.

More pics

path to Pericos

Phrag longifolium, in situ
Big clump on edge of cliff to left is the Phrag

Play Misty For Me
Again - it was 100% humidity there. This is not out of focus. You can vaguely make out the flowers through the mist and amongst the foliage, in the lower left.
Top right is an in-bloom bromeliad, of which I saw hundreds in my brief trip, on top of the hundreds of orchid species, dozens of bird species, tons of mosses ferns plants etc etc.

I will be posting two more series of pics of the two other Phrag species we saw in bloom. I made the trip through Ecotone Tours, my guide was Sebastian. PM me if you have questions.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I know my longifolium pretty much always sits in a small amount of water, but doesn't get 100% humidity, yet does perfectly fine. Once it got large enough to bloom, it's been blooming nearly non-stop ever since.

Really fascinating to see the growing conditions for these. IIRC P. longifolium has the widest distribution of Phrags, so I imagine that's at least partly due to their adaptability to different growing conditions.

In addition to constant moisture, there was a constant breeze from the air movement around the waterfall. Because of both, it felt quite a bit cooler in that spot than just a few yards away back in the forest/jungle. So, at least in this locale they wouldn't ever get very hot.

This is all interesting cultural information. Thank you, D-novice & Eliseo.

These longifoliums look to have pink petals instead of red. Or is the color an effect of the mist?

This population has that coloration, not characteristic of all longifolium.

Pericos is quite close to sea level, and it is plenty hot there. Just not by this waterfall. There was a small plant growing by a hut in the forest nearby that would have experienced much warmer temps, but it was tiny compared to the waterfall colony (and obviously planted there).

But to eteson's point, everything I've ever read says feed Phrags lightly.

This population has that coloration, not characteristic of all longifolium.

Pericos is quite close to sea level, and it is plenty hot there. Just not by this waterfall. There was a small plant growing by a hut in the forest nearby that would have experienced much warmer temps, but it was tiny compared to the waterfall colony (and obviously planted there).

But to eteson's point, everything I've ever read says feed Phrags lightly.

Thanks!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.... case in point! Thank you so much for these!!

Back