Phrag. Waunakee Sunset

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem, now if you can just send me some hangianum and jackii the same way! :p
THanx! BTW, the link didn't work; admins filtered out "proxy avoidance" :sob:

Last edited:
Yes, Dot, I agree that #8 is my favorite thus far!!

I have noticed that when we made this cross (that is the Barbara LeAnn 'Mimosa' x besseae 'Prince of Orange', Kevin is talking about), has been very variable, both in the shape of the flowers, and also in the color. The color has ranged from a light pink, coral pink, dark pink, red to magenta in color.

Here is a link to the first ones of our cross that bloomed:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9009

So if you buy an unbloomed seedling it will be the luck of the straw to what color it will be. Kevin, be sure to post a picture of yours when it blooms!

Robert

I have seen similar variation in Phrag Grouville which is Eric Young x Hanne Popow. Every plant is different in shape and color, ranging from light pink to dark pink to red to red-orange and every shade in between. These are quite interesting to bloom out in a representative population!

Yes, Dot, I agree that #8 is my favorite thus far!!

I have noticed that when we made this cross (that is the Barbara LeAnn 'Mimosa' x besseae 'Prince of Orange', Kevin is talking about), has been very variable, both in the shape of the flowers, and also in the color. The color has ranged from a light pink, coral pink, dark pink, red to magenta in color.

Here is a link to the first ones of our cross that bloomed:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9009

So if you buy an unbloomed seedling it will be the luck of the straw to what color it will be. Kevin, be sure to post a picture of yours when it blooms!

Robert

Thanks Robert. I had seen that thread, but didn't know it was the exact same cross. I'll try to post a pic. Approximately how long 'till they bloom? (given perfect conditions). I have never bloomed a seedling Phrag, so I don't know. I'm thinking they can bloom in 3 years from flask? How old are the ones you are selling (mine)?

Thanks Robert. I had seen that thread, but didn't know it was the exact same cross. I'll try to post a pic. Approximately how long 'till they bloom? (given perfect conditions). I have never bloomed a seedling Phrag, so I don't know. I'm thinking they can bloom in 3 years from flask? How old are the ones you are selling (mine)?

Yours came from the same batch as the ones that were in bloom. The seedlings have been exactly 2 years out of the flask. The first ones that bloomed were probably the most vigorous out of the batch. They were blooming from the first growth, which was still pretty small, so I am guessing yours will probably be blooming by next year (depending on how large it was), which will make them 3 years old by then.

Robert

Yours came from the same batch as the ones that were in bloom. The seedlings have been exactly 2 years out of the flask. The first ones that bloomed were probably the most vigorous out of the batch. They were blooming from the first growth, which was still pretty small, so I am guessing yours will probably be blooming by next year (depending on how large it was), which will make them 3 years old by then.

Robert

Mine has a leaf span of 9 inches.

Most phrags aren't meristem cultured but rather from seed pods. If you grow from meristems they're 'clones' i.e. grown from cells of a plant and therefore identical.

I figured that is what you were refering to, but if I asked what cross it was, some might say Barbara LeAnn x besseae, but that's not what I want to know. Know where I'm coming from? And by the way, aren't divisions 'clones' i.e. exact replicas?

I figured that is what you were refering to, but if I asked what cross it was, some might say Barbara LeAnn x besseae, but that's not what I want to know. Know where I'm coming from? And by the way, aren't divisions 'clones' i.e. exact replicas?

The correct name should be 'Cultivar Epithet', but most people (including myself) when they give a select seedling a name they do refer to it as a 'Clonal name' even though that particular plant may be one of a kind, and thus not necessarily have to be cloned yet.

Robert

Thanx, I don't have to look it up now! :D
No, divisions are divisions. You pay more for them because you know what you're getting.

And yes I would call a 'division' also a clone of the original plant. To me a division just means that you divided a plant in-situ, or in other words just like a perennial plant, out of one plant you 'divided' or pulled it apart into 2 or multiple plants. And yes Eric is correct, divisions usually are worth more. With Paph's and Phrag's that is the only way that you can 'clone' a plant, by dividing them you can only get a limited number of divisions, so they will be worth more, and also Yes, when you divide a plant they will be exactly the same (genetically) as the original plant.

Meristemming is another way of cloning a plant, and this is done in-vitro, or in tissue culture. Meristemming can not be (successfully) done with Paph's or Phrag's; It is done a lot with Cattleya's, Phal's, Vanda's, Cymbidiums and Intergenerics. When You Meristem, you can get 1000's to millions of plants out of one original plant. This is why Phal Meristems (even if it is an awarded Phal) are a lot cheaper than a division of an awarded complex Paph or Phrag. A disadvantage of Meristemming is that sometimes you end up with mutations, and the Meristem plant will look a little different (and be genetically different) than the original plant Most of the time this will be a difference in the flower color.

This all makes perfect sense, and yet is confusing. When a slipper orchid gets awarded, does it get a clonal name? This is the term used for identifying a particular plant, regardless if it is able to be cloned or not. Even if an orchid has not been awarded, the grower can name it (i.e. give it a clonal name). Am I wrong? If 'cultivar epithet' is correct, then why isn't that used?

"Clonal name" is what most people use and is synonymous with "Cultivar epithet". The later is more of a scientific term, The "Clonal name" just refers to the name given to a specific plant. Often this will be an awarded plant, or it will be a plant that stands out from the rest, or it is a plant that is used when making a cross. When ever I make a cross, I will give both parents a "Clonal name" just so I know in the future, what plant I used to make the cross.

Now the verb "To Clone" something means "To Duplicate" something, and just because you gave something a "Clonal name" does not mean it has been "cloned".

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
"Clonal name" is what most people use and is synonymous with "Cultivar epithet". The later is more of a scientific term, The "Clonal name" just refers to the name given to a specific plant. Often this will be an awarded plant, or it will be a plant that stands out from the rest, or it is a plant that is used when making a cross. When ever I make a cross, I will give both parents a "Clonal name" just so I know in the future, what plant I used to make the cross.

Now the verb "To Clone" something means "To Duplicate" something, and just because you gave something a "Clonal name" does not mean it has been "cloned".

Robert
Thanks, Robert. I used to be confused about the words "Clonal name." Your explanation is very good.

Yes, thanks Robert. That's what I had thought all along, but I got a bit stumped when the word 'clone' was questioned. Perhaps one day 'clone' will be entirely accurate when refurring to slipper orchids, but that day is a long way off.

Back