Phrag. tetzlaffianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the lighting in your photos, John -- very soft and ethereal.

I'm glad Thanasis asked the question about color -- I was wondering that, also. And I'm glad the top one is the one. It's beautiful! :smitten:

Wow! That's a combination all kinds of phrags, best parts put together to make this! Have I ever heard of this species? Who described this species? Has it been posted here before?

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1824&highlight=tetzlaffianum

Here is a previous thread with a bit more info. (John if you want me to remove this post let me know)

No. That's fine. It is what it is. People can draw their own conclusions. I keep the tetzlaffianum tag in it's pot because that's what it had when I got it from you and that's what it had when you got it from Alan and it was discovered in Alan's collection. I keep the Nitidissimum x ecuadorense (now registered as Phrag. Simon Marcotte), tag in the pot of my original plant because that's what it had when I got it.

John, that's a happy plant. What medium are you growing it in?

I had a look today and the mix it's growing in is about equal parts of perlite, peatmoss, rockwool and coconut husk chips. It's a pretty dense mix; but, the plant grows tons of roots and it's in a clay pot. So, it seems to like it.:)

I also grow it on the brightest bench in my greenhouse. I use 50% shade in the summer and none in the winter.

I spoke to JP about this species and heard some interesting things. I wish the location of the original plants was better documented. Although I have never met Mr. AT he was helpful when I tried to get some plants from Canada before.

very nice flowers. right before rice's orchids closed, a few of us bought some seedlings that had been flasked as longifolium. one fellow member flowered his plant (mine was very slow), and someone identified it as phrag tetzlaffianum. unfortunately the other person's plant died. mine is finally growing and the leaves look alot like your plant (just smaller). hopefully I can flower mine and see just what it is!

very nice flowers. right before rice's orchids closed, a few of us bought some seedlings that had been flasked as longifolium. one fellow member flowered his plant (mine was very slow), and someone identified it as phrag tetzlaffianum. unfortunately the other person's plant died. mine is finally growing and the leaves look alot like your plant (just smaller). hopefully I can flower mine and see just what it is!

Hmmm....interesting? Did your friend take a photo? Would he allow you to post it? Regardless, we'll all look forward to you blooming your plant and seeing your photos. Good luck!

I agree Dot, it makes all his shots look, well, better than life but not "fake" either.

Thanks very much for your nice comments. I use only natural daylight in the greenhouse...never use a flash. I normally take photos in the mid to late afternoon, when the sun is not so harsh. I actually prefer an overcast day for photos, rather than a clear sunny one. Sometimes, I hold up a piece of styrofoam to reflect light into a dark/shadowed area to even out the light.

Hmmm....interesting? Did your friend take a photo? Would he allow you to post it? Regardless, we'll all look forward to you blooming your plant and seeing your photos. Good luck!

I don't think he took pictures, but I could ask (he's moved out of state), someone else may have taken some. I could though email him the link to the thread/pictures here and see if he remembers if his were similar or not.

Wish my plant to grow a little faster; it's been quite a while for it to get to this size, but it finally has it's fourth growth just starting (it helps to not let it dry out and my finding out that longifolium loves wet feet has made a world of difference)

I don't think he took pictures, but I could ask (he's moved out of state), someone else may have taken some. I could though email him the link to the thread/pictures here and see if he remembers if his were similar or not. Thanks. It would be interesting to know....even better if he, or somebody else took a photo that we could see.

Wish my plant to grow a little faster; it's been quite a while for it to get to this size, but it finally has it's fourth growth just starting (it helps to not let it dry out and my finding out that longifolium loves wet feet has made a world of difference) Yes, longifolium is a water hog. This plant is as well. Wendy kept it in a puddle in her warm/dry grow room; but, I just water often and heavily. It never dries out and is usually wet and it seems to really like it that way.

I received a reply from Jeff; he says that he did take pictures of his plant but he hasn't been able to track down the pictures (he's moved twice and is still looking for a new house). He looked at the pictures here via a link I emailed him, and he said that the flowers on his plant looked identical to them and others that are labeled as tetzlaffianum. The one thing he pointed out was that the staminode on his flowers were bronze in color and that this is very unusual for most phrags. He remembered also buying it as a 'longifolium seedling' from rice's as I did.

So, since mine is a flask sibling of his now inactive plant, here's hoping it keeps growing and flowers soon!

the flowers in your pictures are very nice, glad they survived the freeze; can't wait to hopefully have some that look like them....

Back