Phrag. schlimii 'Elizabeth'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In bloom this afternoon, and named for the daughter of an old Phrag. growing friend. The front of the pouch always has the pink blush divided by a white stripe and if I hadn't already chosen the clonal name, I'd have named it 'Cheeky'.

Last edited:
That IS different. I wouldn't say it's better; but, I like it for it's uniqueness. It would be interesting to self it and grow up a bunch of the offspring to see if that stripe was even wider in some of them.

It reminds me of the early pied mutations in Zebra Finches. It's been decades since I kept them; but, if I remember correctly, some birds with the normal colour showed up with random areas of no colour = white. By selectively breeding these pied birds to increase the areas of white, the pure white Zebra Finch was eventually develped; but, it was not albino. It had normal dark eyes and was in effect, the white version of the normal coloured form.

I wonder if this tendency to show so much white on the pouch could be increased with each successivve generation and (through some selective breeding), eventually produce a pure white schlimii? That would be cool!

Very nice one! It is very interesting. It is somehow frequent the opposite: a pink to crimsom vertical line in the front of the pouch but this color distribution is rarely seen.

Latest posts

Back