Phrag.schlimii "Birchwood"AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I belive that plant is Phrag.schlimii "wicox"AM/AOS.
It was from my friend.The Phrag.schlimii he only had "wicox".

TCW, This plant was awarded as a schlimii in error, but it is actually a Phrag. Cardinale. Since that is how it was awarded, that is the name some people sell it by and keep on it. I have this plant too but recognize it is a Cardinale, not a true schlimii. We just wanted you to know:)

TCW, This plant was awarded as a schlimii in error, but it is actually a Phrag. Cardinale. Since that is how it was awarded, that is the name some people sell it by and keep on it. I have this plant too but recognize it is a Cardinale, not a true schlimii. We just wanted you to know:)

Thank you very much to let me know this important information.
The root of the problem in AOS, not my friend.Thank you again.

That is spectacular and you should be proud!

You are not the first person to feel confused about this plant -I'm mean the AOS couldn't even I'd it right :)
But its something to be proud of and a little bit of history to share when you show it off :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Both schlimii Wilcox and Birchwood were mis-identified hybrids!

TCW, beautifully grown and flowered! Great job.

We actually had a bit of a controversy at the NH Orchid Society Show this past February. A Phrag Cardinale 'Birchwood" was entered in as a schlimii and awarded a species trophy. Despite protestations from the growers vending there, including myself, the award was allowed to stand.

Still a lot of confusion around this beautiful hybrid! Mine is just starting to open on 2 of its 6 spikes.

TCW, beautifully grown and flowered! Great job.

We actually had a bit of a controversy at the NH Orchid Society Show this past February. A Phrag Cardinale 'Birchwood" was entered in as a schlimii and awarded a species trophy. Despite protestations from the growers vending there, including myself, the award was allowed to stand.

Still a lot of confusion around this beautiful hybrid! Mine is just starting to open on 2 of its 6 spikes.

After all the publicity for years surrounding the original error, you think this was impossible anywhere.

Chuck

I don't think "Birchwood" and "Wilcox" are the same clones. I believe "Wilcox" has a somewhat greater resemblance to schlimii. It may well be the same cross as Birchwood, but, at least as I recall, it looks somewhat different.

That is correct. Two different Cardinale's were awarded as schlimii's. 'Birchwood' in 1971 with 89 pts and 'Wilcox' in 1972 with 82 pts. I have divisions of both but have only bloomed 'Wilcox', so I haven't compared the differences.

I don't think "Birchwood" and "Wilcox" are the same clones. I believe "Wilcox" has a somewhat greater resemblance to schlimii. It may well be the same cross as Birchwood, but, at least as I recall, it looks somewhat different.

Latest posts

Back