Phrag. Sargeant Eric x warscewiczianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Leo, I don’t want to bet on Dot’s plant identification, I don’t know the source. But one thing I’m certain, if I’m breeding those mentioned parents, on papers the probability will be very high to get something like what we are seeing on that photo.
With my breeding experience with near to 700 Phragmipediums crosses now, I don’t have any problems to say yes, for me besseae could be involved in this cross. At this rate no trace of the dominant color neither its influence...
I do have numerous examples of this but it should be in some other thread and discussion.
I can hardly wait for you to publish a Phrag book, Jean-Pierre! I want to be first on your list of purchasers.

Hi Jean-Pierre,
Dot & I know the supplier, and they were selling large numbers of the cross LesDirouilles. But your observation could very well be true. Given the source, I would bet $20 on the mixed up tag. Dot will probably support the fact that the plant vegetatively is a behemouth - which would also not be quite so likely if besseae were involved.

You should in another thread show photos of besseae hybrids that don't show the besseae. I would be curious.

Thanks
Leo

I might have an eye for besseae hybrids; personally the color of this might come from the sargentianum but there is not much chance of the besseae form and texture being bred out w/ that percentage in the parentage.

Hi Jean-Pierre,
Dot & I know the supplier, and they were selling large numbers of the cross LesDirouilles. But your observation could very well be true. Given the source, I would bet $20 on the mixed up tag. Dot will probably support the fact that the plant vegetatively is a behemouth - which would also not be quite so likely if besseae were involved.

You should in another thread show photos of besseae hybrids that don't show the besseae. I would be curious.

Thanks
Leo

Hi Leo, it could be a mislabelled plant too, if you know the :confused: source... I’m so glad to do my own breeding when I’m reading thing like that.

I'm not a fan of “guess what it is”, but I’ll play the game in a breeding thread... See you there!

Latest posts

Back