Phrag. Sargeant Eric x warscewiczianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
The tag says Sargeant Eric x caudatum v. warscewiczianum -- from Porter's Orchids

Phrag_SargeantEricxwarscewiczianum-.jpg

Phrag_SargeantEricxwarscewiczianum1.jpg

Its gorgeous...but to me it looks like different parentage...more like pearcei instead of Sgt. Eric...............Take care, Eric

I like it, especially the fact that as flowers open they won't be in each other's way!

Beautiful flower but I also suspect the parents aren't correct. I see no besseae influence at all.

e-spice

Beautiful flower but I also suspect the parents aren't correct. I see no besseae influence at all.

e-spice

My first impression was it looks like Les Dirouilles or Intis Tears for me;
Les Dirouilles = 25% caudatum + 25% sargentianum + 50% longifolium
Intis Tears = 50% popowii + 25% sargentianum + 25% longifolium
But that cross is = 50% popowii + 25% sargentianum + 12,5% besseae + 12,5% longifolium... It should be ok, if the source is sure.

With my experience, at the rate of 12,5%, no more color influence of besseae in crosses. But still there for next generation....

I think the tag is accurate. The plant is huge, as would be expected with sargentianum and longifolium in the background. The flower, also is very large, again as expected with popowii & longifolium. I understand that longifolium is often used to enhance the reds in it's hybrids (as told by Glen Decker). Besseae also probably enhances the red and the dark pouch.

I think the tag is accurate. The plant is huge, as would be expected with sargentianum and longifolium in the background. The flower, also is very large, again as expected with popowii & longifolium. I understand that longifolium is often used to enhance the reds in it's hybrids (as told by Glen Decker). Besseae also probably enhances the red and the dark pouch.

Send a picture to Glen and get his opinion.

My first impression was it looks like Les Dirouilles or Intis Tears for me;
Les Dirouilles = 25% caudatum + 25% sargentianum + 50% longifolium
Intis Tears = 50% popowii + 25% sargentianum + 25% longifolium
But that cross is = 50% popowii + 25% sargentianum + 12,5% besseae + 12,5% longifolium... It should be ok, if the source is sure.

With my experience, at the rate of 12,5%, no more color influence of besseae in crosses. But still there for next generation....
Great point J-P. Could the elongation between flowers be coming from besseae?

Great point J-P. Could the elongation between flowers be coming from besseae?

Good question, but I will say not necessarily, many crosses with sargentianum and the caudatum alliance ( Les Dirouilles, Sorc. Apprentice, Louis Gaucher...etc) does have that kind of elongation between the flowers also. But I do agree than we found that characteristic in besseae hybrids as well.
But always keep in mind than this could be a cultural response from the a low light intensity too.

But always keep in mind than this could be a cultural response from the a low light intensity too.
Probably not: In the Summer, my Phrags are on the S. side of the house with 50% shade. Now they are under T8 bulbs in an enclosed area flooded with 28 4' fluorescent tubes. It's pretty bright in there.

I vote for Les Dirioulles - no way is there any besseae in there. The blooms look like they are going to open weeks apart - so that eliminates Inti's Tears. Inti's Tears usually will open the blooms nearly simultaneous for the first 2 or 3, then the others stagger in a few weeks later. Les Dirioulles due to the longifolium on both sides tends more to one or 2 at a time over a very long time. A big plant can do 20 flowers per stem over 24 months.

Mixed up tags happen.

I vote for Les Dirioulles - no way is there any besseae in there. The blooms look like they are going to open weeks apart - so that eliminates Inti's Tears. Inti's Tears usually will open the blooms nearly simultaneous for the first 2 or 3, then the others stagger in a few weeks later. Les Dirioulles due to the longifolium on both sides tends more to one or 2 at a time over a very long time. A big plant can do 20 flowers per stem over 24 months.

Mixed up tags happen.
Could be -- this ultimately came from the folks you know in Hawaii. They have a history of mixed-up tags, unfortunately.

Mixed up tags happen.

Hi Leo, I don’t want to bet on Dot’s plant identification, I don’t know the source. But one thing I’m certain, if I’m breeding those mentioned parents, on papers the probability will be very high to get something like what we are seeing on that photo.
With my breeding experience with near to 700 Phragmipediums crosses now, I don’t have any problems to say yes, for me besseae could be involved in this cross. At this rate no trace of the dominant color neither its influence...
I do have numerous examples of this but it should be in some other thread and discussion.

Latest posts

Back