Phrag Peru Floras Cirila Alca (kovachii x dalessandroi)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Our first Phrag Perufloras Cirila Alca (kovachii x dalessandroi) opened up. The shape is not as good as the (kovachii x besseae) I posted earlier and the flower is a little smaller, but I like the color:

PhragPeruFlorasCirilaAlca3302009.jpg

Robert

That's a beautiful cross, very nice flower!

Robert, you mention the shape of this flower, and I can see more kovachii-influence in the awarded flower Darin showed as well, compared to the two Fritz Schomburg's you showed us. Would you think these differences are in the choice of parent ("bad shaped" dalessandroi vs line-bred bessae) or more likely in the choice of pod/pollen parent? Fritz S. is listed as bessae x kovachii and the Peru Floras Cirilia Alca as kovachii x dalessandroi.

That's a beautiful cross, very nice flower!

Robert, you mention the shape of this flower, and I can see more kovachii-influence in the awarded flower Darin showed as well, compared to the two Fritz Schomburg's you showed us. Would you think these differences are in the choice of parent ("bad shaped" dalessandroi vs line-bred bessae) or more likely in the choice of pod/pollen parent? Fritz S. is listed as bessae x kovachii and the Peru Floras Cirilia Alca as kovachii x dalessandroi.

I think both factors probably play a role.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth:

The first batch of Fritz Schomburg (sold by Piping Rock) were (kovachii x besseae) not the other way around. The cross was done at Alfredo Manrique's nursery in Lima, Peru using kovachii as pod parent. Subsequent batches may have been the reverse cross.

Latest posts

Back