Phrag. Mardi Gras - now with 6 open flowers!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No they have not.

Robert

Hi Robert, you are right, convinced ;) It is not exactly the same meaning... You understand than English is not my first language and I am not mastering all the subtleties. But I’m trying to do my best and clear as I can...

Yes! Mardi Gras is showy, I don’t mean than you have to throwing them out.
In horticulture world, they don’t mind of the parentage of a cross as (I think) we do in Orchids breeding. For me it is like promoting unknown hybrids or mislabelled crosses what ever they are if they are nice... But this is always depending of our goal too. This is the exact opposite of what I’m working for over 20 years... I’m may be a taxonomy freak or purist?

Like you said you were under the impression that it was true specie when you registered it...And now, why did you say than the status of brasiliense is uncertain? You describe the specie and you demonstrate than it was not with the result of the F1, it tells by itself. What did we need more to clarify its status now. DNA result will show than it is a hybrid and maybe the species involve in...

It is not because the RHS did recognise brasiliense once as “species” than it was not a mistake. They did trust what they received as information... I think than they should be stricter in the future and should ask at least to see the result of an F1 before to recognise new specie especially when it comes from collection and from unknown origin...

It is sad because few “species” like this one will be unfortunately maintain for a long period before to be rejected, if they are... It seems to me than it is more difficult to deny and reject an error than to register it.

But the use of ”X” or Brasiliense x fischerii is for me more acceptable than brasiliense... Yes they did registered unknown hybrids in the past, but it is not a reason to do the same today... Would you by an unknown hybrid for breeding? Probably not.... Me neither! But if the plant is very nice, I will try to find out the recipe...

Hi Robert, you are right, convinced ;) It is not exactly the same meaning... You understand than English is not my first language and I am not mastering all the subtleties. But I’m trying to do my best and clear as I can...

Yes! Mardi Gras is showy, I don’t mean than you have to throwing them out.
In horticulture world, they don’t mind of the parentage of a cross as (I think) we do in Orchids breeding. For me it is like promoting unknown hybrids or mislabelled crosses what ever they are if they are nice... But this is always depending of our goal too. This is the exact opposite of what I’m working for over 20 years... I’m may be a taxonomy freak or purist?

Like you said you were under the impression that it was true specie when you registered it...And now, why did you say than the status of brasiliense is uncertain? You describe the specie and you demonstrate than it was not with the result of the F1, it tells by itself. What did we need more to clarify its status now. DNA result will show than it is a hybrid and maybe the species involve in...

It is not because the RHS did recognise brasiliense once as “species” than it was not a mistake. They did trust what they received as information... I think than they should be stricter in the future and should ask at least to see the result of an F1 before to recognise new specie especially when it comes from collection and from unknown origin...

It is sad because few “species” like this one will be unfortunately maintain for a long period before to be rejected, if they are... It seems to me than it is more difficult to deny and reject an error than to register it.

But the use of ”X” or Brasiliense x fischerii is for me more acceptable than brasiliense... Yes they did registered unknown hybrids in the past, but it is not a reason to do the same today... Would you by an unknown hybrid for breeding? Probably not.... Me neither! But if the plant is very nice, I will try to find out the recipe...

First of all your English is very good, probably a lot better than my French ever will be (even though I had 6 years of French in High School!).

Don't get me wrong, but I totally agree with you. I am like you a purist as well when it comes to the names of the plants that I use for hybridizing..and that is why I want to try to find out what exactly brasiliense is, if it is a hybrid (man made or natural) I can hopefully recreate it, and than I can officially remake Mardi Gras using the correct names for parents.

Robert

First of all your English is very good, probably a lot better than my French ever will be (even though I had 6 years of French in High School!).

Don't get me wrong, but I totally agree with you. I am like you a purist as well when it comes to the names of the plants that I use for hybridizing..and that is why I want to try to find out what exactly brasiliense is, if it is a hybrid (man made or natural) I can hopefully recreate it, and than I can officially remake Mardi Gras using the correct names for parents.

Robert

Thank you very much Robert; I did learn my English when I was working in archaeology at Dawson city Yukon in 1991...
I was confused too when I saw new thread using Brasiliense, after reading all your post about taxonomy and breeding etc... Especially because you even brought the interrogation about the status of that specie...
I was sure than your understanding of the whole thing was pretty close as mine. And did not understand why you were so purist one day and bring some “?” the other day...
But it is a very good way to keep the discussion alive on the forum. And now I understand why the forum is for and I want to be a part of it...
Believe me than I will work with you to recreate the parentage of Mardi Gras, because it is a very nice combination and I really like the result...
The day we will meet each other, we will have a lot to talk about... It’s going to be very interesting!

Back