Phrag. Mardi Gras - now with 6 open flowers!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

I could not believe it when I walked through the greenhouse this afternoon, but the Phrag. Mardi Gras that I posted earlier with 4 open flowers now had 6 open flowers and one bud that was about ready to open!

Sorry, I was too lazy to drag it over to the photo area, so I quickly snapped a picture of it in the greenhouse (before the flowers would fall off...).

PhragMardiGras11192008.jpg

Robert

Who cares???!!!!!! The show is spectacular!!! Thank you very much!!!

I have a question though!!! Does a gh need additional artificial light??

Thanks. Yes if your greenhouse is located in a more northern latitude you do need to use extra artificial light. Number one we only have day light from about 7:30 in the morning until about 4:30 in the afternoon, and especially during the month of November it tends to be pretty cloudy here in Minnesota , so we turn it on during the day as well when it is cloudy.

Robert

Nice display and interesting 'clone' but don’t you think Robert than keeping talking about an "registered hybrids" of "unknown hybrid" is it not strange... Why keeping and nourishing confusion in the Phragmipedium world?

Nice display and interesting 'clone' but don’t you think Robert than keeping talking about an "registered hybrids" of "unknown hybrid" is it not strange... Why keeping and nourishing confusion in the Phragmipedium world?

:confused::confused: I am confused; what did you mean??

Robert

:confused::confused: I am confused; what did you mean??

Robert
Hi Robert, sorry!
I’m just wondering if we;
Shall continue to talk about brasiliense?
Shall continue to talk about hybrids from brasiliense?

By selfing the brasiliense, you prove than this plant was not specie, even not a primary hybrid (I’m convicted)....
We are not supposed to register an unknown parent when we are registering a new cross, it doesn’t bring any plus value in the world of orchids.

Hi Robert, sorry!
I’m just wondering if we;
Shall continue to talk about brasiliense?
Shall continue to talk about hybrids from brasiliense?

By selfing the brasiliense, you prove than this plant was not specie, even not a primary hybrid (I’m convicted)....
We are not supposed to register an unknown parent when we are registering a new cross, it doesn’t bring any plus value in the world of orchids.

I assume you mean convinced...:poke::poke:

Thus far I have only registered one cross with Phrag. brasiliense. When I registered the cross, I was still under the impression that it was a true species. Even the RHS accepted it as a new species. Now however, I am leaning more towards natural hybrid, but even if the status of brasiliense is uncertain, that does not mean I have to throw out the one hybrid I made with it (Phrag. Mardi Gras) or not show to the rest of the world how nice of a hybrid it is; does it? It is true from now on (until I know for sure what the status of Phrag. brasiliense is) I probably will not register any new hybrids with it (and I won't use Phrag. Mardi Gras as a parent to avoid further confusion), so you do not have to worry.

If you look at complex Phal or Paph hybrids often you will see in the early years that one of the parents was unknown. Do we have to stop hybridizing with those hybrids now too? At least with Mardi Gras I know what the parent is, we just cannot put an exact identity on it (I actually have sent in some samples of Phrag. brasiliense to be tested, and they are doing some DNA work on it, so hopefully we can shed a light to see if it is a hybrid, and to determine what the parents are).

Robert

Back