Phrag. longifolium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lycaste53

This phragmipedium longifolium var. hartwegii ´Green Rose´ was shipped from the US and arrived with one bud, which has opened today. It looks a bit squeezed, but I´m happy that the flower is still alive and hope that the next one will have a better shape.
phraglongihartw1.jpg

phraglongihartw2.jpg

Best regards, Gina

Not sure this is a straight longifolium. The petals are much too twisted IMO. There has to be something else in it.

My first impression was probably wrong. I missed the variety name and the fact that it had been squeezed during transport. Still those twisted petals are strange.

Last edited:
Not sure this is a straight longifolium. The petals are much too twisted IMO. There has to be something else in it.

My first impression was probably wrong. I missed the variety name and the fact that it had been squeezed during transport. Still those twisted petals are strange.

I occaisonally get twisted petals on my longifolium flowers. May be overdose on Magnesium!!! But more likely the temperature bounce or lack of water during shipping did this.

The species likes LOTS of water. Mine is in hydroton balls, and the pot sits in a tray of water (which it sucks up like crazy). I quess this is pretty much like a semi-hydro setup.

Once your plant settles in you will probably have it blooming for months on end from the same spike, and the petals will be straight.

I've not gotten twisted petals like that, but sometimes on certain hybrids, I get flowers with no petals (except for the pouch).

This squeezed look is very common among longifolium, it's varities and primary hybrids. It has nothing to do with shipping and everything to do with culture. Every summer my plants do the same thing and by fall/winter they straighten out again.

Latest posts

Back