Phrag. lindenii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's astounding. How many parts does it have? Synsepal, dorsal sepal, and two petals?

I mean is it an orchid with only four parts? I am having trouble getting around that.

I mean is it an orchid with only four parts? I am having trouble getting around that.

Slippers have 3 petals, just like other orchids. But instead of a fancy lip for one of the petals, it has a pouch. Instead of a normal pouch, this species has what looks like another long petal. So it still has 3 petals and 3 sepals -- on slippers the bottom two sepals are fused into a synsepal.

i thought orchids technically have three sepals and three petals and the pouch is a fused sepal and petal (the things that come off the sides are petals, the thing above the pouch is the dorsal sepal, the one behind the pouch is the synsepal and the pouch is the remaining of each fused).

i thought orchids technically have three sepals and three petals and the pouch is a fused sepal and petal (the things that come off the sides are petals, the thing above the pouch is the dorsal sepal, the one behind the pouch is the synsepal and the pouch is the remaining of each fused).

I think the pouch is just a modified lip/petal, and the ventral sepals are fused into one.

BTW that is a very nice lindenii!!

Update

Today is one of the last sunny days this fall and I take the chance to update the pictures:

Both buds are open now and still growing:

The first one:
20111016-151312-939.jpg

Detail:
20111016-151332-665.jpg

And the second one:
20111016-151301-143.jpg

Detail:
20111016-151341-62.jpg

Greetings,
Tobias

Thank you for sharing, Tobias! Nice pictures of a very well grown plant. This is such an unusual, yet intriguing, species. I will be adding it to my 'must have one day' list...

Back