Phrag Grouville - bummer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know all about SW Florida weather. I lived there for 9 years, 2009 to 2018. I tried a few Phrags. While I was there and they never did much of anything.
When I moved there from Long Island, I brought about 75 standard Cattleyas with me. I grew them in my lanai under 60% shade cloth. They gradually did worse and worse and not many survived. Cattleyas can do well with an average daytime high of around 85 degrees. But for 9 or 10 months of 90 degree days with 70-78 degree nights made it hard for them to thrive.
I slowly changed my collection over to warm growers, things like Vandas, Catasetums, Grammatophyllums etc. They did much better but that Florida heat, humidity and very bright light made it much harder to grow other things like Paphs. And Phrags.
But the last straw for me was hurricanes impacting the Fort Myers area.
I mean 92 degrees for a high temperature on an early December day was just too much for me.

I know all about SW Florida weather. I lived there for 9 years, 2009 to 2018. I tried a few Phrags. While I was there and they never did much of anything.
When I moved there from Long Island, I brought about 75 standard Cattleyas with me. I grew them in my lanai under 60% shade cloth. They gradually did worse and worse and not many survived. Cattleyas can do well with an average daytime high of around 85 degrees. But for 9 or 10 months of 90 degree days with 70-78 degree nights made it hard for them to thrive.
I slowly changed my collection over to warm growers, things like Vandas, Catasetums, Grammatophyllums etc. They did much better but that Florida heat, humidity and very bright light made it much harder to grow other things like Paphs. And Phrags.
But the last straw for me was hurricanes impacting the Fort Myers area.
I mean 92 degrees for a high temperature on an early December day was just too much for me.
I have been here in Florida 25 years and some of my slippers thrive….some are a challenge but in the heat I have fans on 24/7
And if below 50 enclose the lanai greenhouse in plastic with heaters.
The power company must enjoy my business with over $300/mo electric bills !

Latest posts

Back