Phrag. Golden Beryl

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, I think that a lot of the hybrids that have been produced by other breeders that are all starting to look alike (even I as a breeder am having a hard time to tell them all apart). One reason is that they keep using the same parents, or they are using plants that have the same genetic background. With my breeding I am trying to come up with plants that do not always fit that norm. Besides breeding for "red" colors, I am also going for yellows, peaches, whites and pinks. Also I am trying to get some different shapes, I don't like it when they all have that same "round" look. Robert

:clap::clap: I agree! I feel like I'm phragged out! Half a dozen long petal pinks/reds are enough in my collection!

At first, I wasn't sure if I liked this or not, but I do! I like it because it is unusual. Like has already been said, a lot of Phrags tend to look the same (let's try having crosses that are dominant with species other than besseae for a change!) I applaud you Robert, for trying to get some different looks to the Phrag hybrids. I like the pinks and whites like Cardinale, and some of the vibrant coloured ones that use fischeri. Now, to get those colours with long petals! How much of a challenge would that be?

That's where Pk will have a strong influence.

I agree, that by using PK we will have some very interesting hybrids, we will increase size, and perhaps add some purple tones to the colors.

Just as an example of some of my other hyrbidizing:

In the same lines as Phrag. Golden Beryl, is Phrag. Patty Whack. This is Phrag. Robert Palm x longifolium:

PhragPattyWhack9122008.jpg

PhragPattyWhack-side-9122008.jpg

A different line that I am creating is white and light pink phrags with long droopy petals. This is Emarald Fire (Calurum x boissierianum). The next step I want to do with this is cross it with a long petaled Phrag like Phrag wallisii, to get even longer petals, but keep the white to pink colors.

PhragEmeraldFire8282008.jpg

Or another direction, is by crossing it to say Phrag. Mem. Estelle Getty to get some dark maroon's to purple's with contrasting white. (This is kind of what I am hoping to get):

PhragEmeraldFirexEstelleGetty.jpg

Robert

Really good Robert! I really like the Emerald Fire. Now cross that with a caudatum type.

Fun with Photoshop!

I really like the Emerald Fire -- wonderful color and shape! I didn't see that on your website, or that would've been in my order, depending on price.

Fun with Photoshop!

I really like the Emerald Fire -- wonderful color and shape! I didn't see that on your website, or that would've been in my order, depending on price.

Unfortunately I did not get many out of this cross, so I am just using them for further breeding. Eventually they may be big enough that we will sell divisions. Also now I know what they look like, I probably will remake this cross, and yes I agree I really like how it turned out.

Robert

Latest posts

Back