Phrag. Golden Beryl

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Phrag. Golden Beryl is Phrag. Robert Palm x wallisii. I used the flavum form of Phrag. Robert Palm to make this cross.

PhragGoldenBeryl9102008.jpg

PhragGoldenBeryl-side-9102008.jpg

Robert

That is because it only has 25% besseae, but besseae has attributed the yellow and red tones to this hybrid. I think it is kind of amazing that even though I have used the flavum form of besseae in the background of this cross, that you still get some red tones coming through, but they may also have come from the other parents. One seedling out of this cross, I think I had posted a picture of that one earlier, was almost entirely yellow.

Robert

A lot of the flavum besseae gen 1 and 2 crosses haven't flowered, or aren't well distributed yet. I think there is a good collection of photos on this forum if you search besseae, and flavum.

Robert, its a lovely flower and the color makes it stand out. I think probably because it is so different to most anything else in recent times.

I agree, I think that a lot of the hybrids that have been produced by other breeders that are all starting to look alike (even I as a breeder am having a hard time to tell them all apart). One reason is that they keep using the same parents, or they are using plants that have the same genetic background. With my breeding I am trying to come up with plants that do not always fit that norm. Besides breeding for "red" colors, I am also going for yellows, peaches, whites and pinks. Also I am trying to get some different shapes, I don't like it when they all have that same "round" look.

Robert

Latest posts

Back