Phrag. 'Geralda' in bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dan796

Hi,

I've been a lurker long enough!
So I've decided to come out of the shadows,
and into the light to share some pictures with you all.

My Phrag. Geralda (lindleyanum 'Birchwood' AM/AOS x caudatum 'Wolf River')
has decided to put on quite a show this spring with TWO more spikes!
I lost the first spike due to T5 light tube burn, I didn't realize it had a spike until too late!
But, It should be glorious in full bloom!

From table top to petal tip she is 33" tall. (83.82cm)
And 23" side to side. (58.42cm)
I hope you enjoy it!

Attachments

• Phrag Geralda  3.JPG
    Phrag Geralda 3.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Phrag Geralda  4.JPG
    Phrag Geralda 4.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice color combo. Is Geralda a clone name or a hybrid name? I'd like to know where I can get this hybrid.

Geo, I believe it's a hybrid.
A cultivated hybrid cross to produce seed can produce hundreds of plant variations from the cross. No two plants are exactly alike.

My Geralda is a cross between (lindleyanum 'Birchwood' AM/AOS x caudatum 'Wolf River')

A clone comes from special microscopic tissue taken from one of the plant's growing tips, so that when the tip's cells are divided and grown out under Laboratory conditions, there are hundreds of new plants starting at a one cell level. All of them an exact copy of the mother plant all the way down to it's genes.

How exactly it's labeled to know the difference between a hybrid, and a clone escapes my memory at the moment.
It's been many years since I dealt with all that breeding stuff.

Perhaps someone can jump in with the answer to that for you..

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic and well done! The hybrid name should be written as Phrag. Geralda without the quotes. Special clonal names given are then put in the quotes. That's what they are referring to:)

Fantastic and well done! The hybrid name should be written as Phrag. Geralda without the quotes. Special clonal names given are then put in the quotes. That's what they are referring to:)

Thank you ea! It's been so long, I'd forgotten exactly how it is all sorted out.

Thank you SK!
I've actually had this plant exactly 1 year this month.
It was looking poorly when I received it.
because of it's size I thought it must have been a seedling.
The plant was 1/4th the size of what it is now,
and was badly sunburned on one side.
The name tag was faded and was very hard to read.

Today, except for a few trimmed leaves tips from light bulb burn incident,
it's looking pretty good If I do say so myself.

It will be re-potted after it's stopped blooming.

Phrag. lindleyanum x wallisii is Phrag Fred Wright. looking at the Photos I believe this is Phrag Geralda - lindleyanum x caudatium

Thank you Eric!
The tag on this plant was smudged and very hard to read,
and I guess I was a little too quick in my research to be sure I had the right cross! Thanks!
I have made the necessary corrections!

Thank you Dan, those quotation marks throws me off. I have wallisii x caudatium so I was intrigue about the color combo. I really like the red added to the green. I will check around for this hybrid.

Back