Phrag. Fischer's Fire

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, its a beaut. Is there a lot of variation in the progeny, or do they all have similar color and appearance?

Yay besseae hybrids!
If you're wondering; yes, I did call and ask about getting one but there aren't any available! :rolleyes:

Yep he did...It was good to talk to you Eric!

Yes unfortunately this is one of a kind, Jerry has had this clone for many years, but I think this is the only clone that survived from the cross. It is a reluctant bloomer, as I have only seen it in bloom 3 times in the last 10 years, and I believe it bloomed 4 years ago for the last time, so that is why I had to take the picture and share it with you guys, as it is an awesome flower.

We did make one cross with this guy. Jerry backcrossed it to Phrag. besseae, and he used the 4N 'Rob's Choice' clone. He was hoping for very large flowers that would be bright red in color, but the funny thing is that they looked almost identical to a regular besseae (I think it was due to the double dose of besseae from 'Rob's Choice' while Fischer's Fire is already 75% besseae).

He named it Phrag. Mirage. Here is a picture:

PhragMirageRedOasis7112006.jpg

Robert

Hey Robert, it is so nice, would it not be worth it to try remaking it and hope for better floriferousness and viability in the second batch?
Or do you find if it is a poor performer once, the cross isn't worth another shot?

Hey Robert, it is so nice, would it not be worth it to try remaking it and hope for better floriferousness and viability in the second batch?
Or do you find if it is a poor performer once, the cross isn't worth another shot?

I agree, it is very nice and worth remaking. Hopefully with the newer generation besseae's as a parent it will be more vigorous. Unfortunately we don't have any blooming size Phrag. Super Rubies at the moment, but when we have (I remade that cross as well), I will remake Fischer's Fire.

Robert

the colour and shape on Phrag. Mirage is perfect! *drool* Was besseae the pod parent?

No, the Fischer's Fire was the pod parent.

Mirage is gorgeous, redder than besseaes that I've seen. Is it bigger or about the same size as besseae?

It is larger than a 2N besseae, but smaller than the 4N 'Rob's Choice' besseae parent. It does have very thick flowers; even more so than 'Rob's Choice'.

Robert

Fantastic colour andf shape on the first one!!! That Phrag Mirage is gorgeous, too!!!

Latest posts

Back