Phrag. fischeri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of the first Phrag fischeri's in our collection, this one was purchased from Dr. Glen Lehr when he had a company called Ecua-Orchideas. Now, I think he is specializing in Japanese Neofinetias.

Last edited:
Beautiful! Are all of the fischeri in cultivation from selfings of a single plant or has more than one plant been introduced into cultivation?

Beautiful! Are all of the fischeri in cultivation from selfings of a single plant or has more than one plant been introduced into cultivation?

There are a few wild plants in cultivation. Not a single source of genes.

So, they've been found growing in the wild? Is this conclusively confirmed? Is there habitat information and in-situ photos available to see, somewhere on the Internet?

I've posted pictures in the past. It grows on the Colombian/ecuadorian border.

Kyle

Kyle, I've searched all open forums at ST for posts by you about fischeri and found none with photos and no further information related specifically to my questions. Can you please tell me where I can find this info? Thanks.

p.s. PhragWeb has no habitat information, in situ photos, or confirmation that it has ever been found in the wild.

EDIT: Doing a general search of the web using Google, I found myself back here at ST reading a thread started in 2006 in which you incorrectly spell fischeri (dropped the "c" and added an "i"). That's the thread with the in-situ photo you say was taken by Alex Portillia.
http://http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/barjon1/Phrag.jpg

Still, I'd like to see more in-situ photos. Do they exist anywhere? Alex Portillia's photo is very limited, basically only showing the plant in bloom and none of the surrounding area. Also, it's just one photo which is so limited, it could easily have been staged. For me, that one photo does not prove that fischeri has been discovered in the wild. If it is known to exist in the wild....and more clones have been collected, where are the photos? Where is the habitat information? Also, can anyone explain how a new species of Phrag can be found amongst a group of "artificailly" propagated schlimii's?

Thank you Dido, I will look into it.

Sorry for misspelling a word. I'm glad you were able to figure out what I was talking about.

That is the only picture I have. Forum member Frankc is the only person I know who as been to the site, he may have pictures. It is a very difficult site to access , more difficult than kovachii, I've been told.

How the plant got mixed with other plants, I don't know. Ecuagenera was very unorganized beck then. It is a bit better now, but if anyone who has purchased plants from them knows plants are from time to time labled wrong. Every pot doesn't have a label. They screwed up.

Not to be confrontational, but what's your angle? What are you getting at?

Kyle

Back