Phrag. fischeri 2N

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're #1 on the list, Dot. The 'Fox Valley' clone is also in bud right now, so between the two maybe we'll get lucky and have plenty of seedlings to go around. It's a great species; wish I could visit the habitat with Eliseo....

Tom I would like to visit the area also... but right now is quite risky. It is rebels (gerrilla) land and if we go in probably we are going to spend there a few months eating rice and beans.... lets wait to see how the peace negotiations evolve...

The fischeri plants found in colombia so far are not the true thing... if you look the Olaf's book you will notice that they are something in between schlimii and andreettae...

Hi Eliseo,

Too bad about the political situation; hopefully, someday it will change and we can do some exploring. It sounds like Colombia has several over-lapping micropetalum swarms, so identifying the point from which each species originated will not be easy.

I think that the true species arrived to the US mixed with schlimii. This is the reason why it was said that it was likely coming from Colombia... but it think that it has been found in Ecuador in situ.
Many years ago a "rosenrot" (red-pinkish) schlimii was found and described in the Eastern Cordillera of Colombia, in the south of the country. Unfortunatelly the herbarium specimen was lost during the WW2... some people think that this schlimii was actually fischeri. The area where was found is very dangerous right now.

Tom I would like to visit the area also... but right now is quite risky. It is rebels (gerrilla) land and if we go in probably we are going to spend there a few months eating rice and beans.... lets wait to see how the peace negotiations evolve...

Hope the peace negotiations work out. Would love to see more fischeri and blue-eyed plecos on the market.

Latest posts

Back