Phrag Eric Young

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

albert

Hi there,
can anybody explain why one of my Phrags is badly shaped. Any idea. Its the first time the flower is deformed.
Thanks
Albert

Attachments

• cattleorchids 015.JPG
    cattleorchids 015.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 45
I have Phrag pouches do this in the heat of the summer. I have a Praying mantis doing this same thing now.

Mine get wonky like that if I've underwatered them while they were in spike. And like Rick said, the heat of the summer can play tricks.

I think it's not uncommon for a Phrag's first flower to be somewhat deformed. Hopefully, the next one will be better.

the queenslander called Banana bender, the Victorian Mexican9 south of the border). But we love each other.
cheers
Albert

Hi there,
can anybody explain why one of my Phrags is badly shaped. Any idea. Its the first time the flower is deformed.
Thanks
Albert
Hi Albert,
It could be from some chemical use, insecticide, fungicide or hormones.... Phrags are sensitive to those....
This happen twice in the past for me; I did learn not to try new stuff on all the plants at a time...We all know that but we don’t do it... Experiences!

1) Somebody at our society brought a new supposed miraculous product ‘alginic acid’ this was supposed to be fantastic... He was a good vendor! I try it once few drop in my barrel... All the new flowers were deformed...
2) I had to buy some safer insecticide soap one day, usually I’m using the one with pyrethrum this one is ok, but that day at the store only the one with potash salt left. After one spray of it, few days later when the buds did open all the flowers were deformed again.
Hope it help....

Banana Bender is a nick name for people from the Australian state of Queensland where much of the banana crop is grown, Have you ever seen a straight banana. :poke:
:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

How many of the suggestions are possibilities for you? I think it's a hard thing to pinpoint. If it continues then you might want to try changing one thing at a time. As I said in my Lucy Robbins post - nature is funny!

I didn't even know they grew bananas over there!?

Me neither!! I visited Cannes & Port Douglas in 1998; don't remember seeing banana trees. But I was sort of busy watching out for big spiders (kind of a phobia of mine, especially after seeing one the size of my hand in Port Douglas). :D

1) Somebody at our society brought a new supposed miraculous product ‘alginic acid’ this was supposed to be fantastic... He was a good vendor! I try it once few drop in my barrel... All the new flowers were deformed...
2) I had to buy some safer insecticide soap one day, usually I’m using the one with pyrethrum this one is ok, but that day at the store only the one with potash salt left. After one spray of it, few days later when the buds did open all the flowers were deformed again.
Hope it help....

That's terrible. How discouraging!

Queensland special animals beside orchids

we have some more of these lovely animals such as- see attachment. Anyway, him and his family guarding my orchids.
cheers
Albert

Attachments

• snakeorchid 001.JPG
    snakeorchid 001.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back