Phrag. ecuadorense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Barbara

Phrag. ecuadorense 'Charlie'

I recently bought this plant from John M and it's still adjusting to its change in growing conditions, but it's decided to bloom for me anyway although the bloom is a little warped. I've removed the first flower soon after photographing it and the second bud is now growing larger. I can't believe how large the flower is compared to the tiny stature of the plant, this would be great plant to use for mini phrag hybridization. I need to photograph it next to my Geralda to get the full effect. lol

phragecuadorense.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice one !!! Jean

(I hope that it will not be invaded by mealies and co! I spent quite some time yesterday trying for the x time to clean the remaining of my pearcei plant:eek::eek:! Once they are in ....:eek:)

That is nice Barbara. John has really nice plants you won't go wrong when you get plants from him. Which clone did you get? He has two different ones I believe.

Sorry about that Rick, I forgot to include the clonal name, it's 'Charlie', the one with the larger flower. I changed the sub-heading.

Thanks for the warning about the mealies, I have had them once long ago on a cardboard palm, but they haven't put in an appearance since then. Do they like this species above other phrags?

Oh yes Dot, I think that you are correct! If a moderator would like to chance the title, that would be fine with me.

'Glad that you like it Barbara. Too bad about the first bud; but, it's nice that the whole stem didn't abort during shipping. The next bud should be okay. For the record, this plant has never produced a wonky flower before; so, I'm sure that this is just a one time anomaly.

I'm a splitter, rather than a lumper, in most cases. So, I prefer to call it just plain Phrag. ecuadorense. It is VERY different (although, obviously related), to pearcei. As a splitter, my thinking is that if a variety will produce significantly different results when used in hybridizing than the nominate form, it should be elevated to it's own species status......at least in the horticultural world and for purposes of registering hybrids.

:clap::clap:I like this species too!
I'd like it alot more if mine would bloom! :(

I have several primary hybrids with this one....it's a great compact species.

One in particular that I love is Mini Grande. It's ecuadorense x warscewiczianum (aka pearcei var. ecuadorense x caudatum var. warscewiczianum). It's a great, easy to grow and bloom, compact plant that produces up to 5 semi-sequential, colourful, very long-petalled flowers.:drool:

If it's pearcei, they like lots of water and yes mealies LOVE! them!!! Yours' has nice colors in spite of the wonky bloom.

I was afraid someone was going to say that, I'll be sure to keep an eye open for them then.

I know that the next bloom will look better, the bud is getting larger daily.

'Glad that you like it Barbara. Too bad about the first bud; but, it's nice that the whole stem didn't abort during shipping. The next bud should be okay. For the record, this plant has never produced a wonky flower before; so, I'm sure that this is just a one time anomaly.

I'm a splitter, rather than a lumper, in most cases. So, I prefer to call it just plain Phrag. ecuadorense. It is VERY different (although, obviously related), to pearcei. As a splitter, my thinking is that if a variety will produce significantly different results when used in hybridizing than the nominate form, it should be elevated to it's own species status......at least in the horticultural world and for purposes of registering hybrids.

I do love it, thank you very much for parting with it. Why even my sister, who usually prefers the large brightly coloured Phrags, is quite taken with this one.

Coming from a horticulture background myself I completely appreciate the splitter theory! lol I’m already thinking about crossing it with a few things in my collection. I wonder what it would produce if I crossed it with Sargent Eric? I have seen pearcei in bloom and this flower is many times nicer and very different. And honestly, the deformity isn't really noticeable without close inspection; I have great confidence that it will be fine the next time.

I do love it, thank you very much for parting with it. Why even my sister, who usually prefers the large brightly coloured Phrags, is quite taken with this one.

Coming from a horticulture background myself I completely appreciate the splitter theory! lol I’m already thinking about crossing it with a few things in my collection. I wonder what it would produce if I crossed it with Sargent Eric? I have seen pearcei in bloom and this flower is many times nicer and very different. And honestly, the deformity isn't really noticeable without close inspection; I have great confidence that it will be fine the next time.

It will look like a sort of Patty McHale (Or close to the one Dot just post as pearceii.) This will give 50% pearcei x 25% sargenteanum x 12,5% longifolium x 12,5% besseae. No longer longifolium and niether besseae influence....

Latest posts

Back