Phrag. dalessandroi??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

We have this plant, which is labeled as Phrag. dalessandroi ('Echo' x 'Doug Pulley'). It originated from Terry Root's breeding at the OZ. Doing some reserch on the internet, there is some speculation that this actually may be a sib cross between two Phrag. Jersey's (dalessandroi x besseae). Any thoughts?
I still have not seen any true Phrag. dalessandroi in true life, so got all excited when I saw this plant in-bud. It does have the non-stolon forming habit. Also note the very dark red staminodal shield.

Phragdalesandroi-close-912010.jpg

Phragdalesandroi-flowerside-912010.jpg

Phragdalesandroi-plant-912010.jpg

Phragdalesandroi-plantside-912010.jpg

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
It has the narrower droopy petals you often see with Dalesandro.

Maybe just to early or young yet to see a branching infloresences.

I had this sib cross in my collection a few years ago. the plant was growing like a normal ''climbing'' Besseae rather than a clumpy dalessandroi and the flower looked as the one you posted. IMO, I doubt it could be a real dalessandroi.

I don't know if this helps, but, this is a Phrag Jersey that came from the Eric Young Foundation years ago.
IMG_0310.jpg

The petals and the staminod seem very different.

Using my limited knowledge, it looks too red and the petals are a tad too full to be dalessandroi. I would suspect it is Jersey. Here's a picture of dalessandroi and besseae from phragweb.com.

045007701.jpg

e-spice

Have you contacted Dennis D'Alessandro? I think he would know this plant about as well as anyone.....

Have seen a couple d'allesandroi and none have had such rich color saturation.

It's beautiful! Whatever it is, it's worth selfing to produce more like it. That's a very unique flower and that "look" is worth duplicating. Love the bright yellow synsepal and red dorsal, petals, pouch and staminode sheild.

It looks to me to be Jersey, not dalessandroi. The colour is too red and saturated and the petal stance, while reminiscent of dalessandroi, definitely looks to me to have some besseae influence.

I agree with the other Phrag-friends, it looks like a Phrag. Jersey.

Best greetings

Olaf

*sigh*; I think eric, clark and I have the same thing; from a california grower who had some plants from the orchid zone. don't know if it is the same outcross though. so far the plant isn't climbing but mine hasn't spiked. I think eric and clark's plants may have had spikes when purchased. hopefully someday we'll all have real d'alessandrois?!

nice color on these flowers

Here is one that I have in bloom now that was originally wild-collected. I don't have a photo of the plant but it is non-stoloniferous and it does branch.

dal.jpg

Thanks everyone! Yes I have to agree that it is most probably a Phrag. Jersey.

Robert

Hi All,

Robert, I too have a few of the old OZ sib and believe it is actually the natural hybrid (besseae x d'alessandroi) i.e. Jersey. Lien's flower looks similar to our `Fox Valley' CHM/AOS clone (photo attached) which was ID'ed by Cal Dodson prior to the award, and I believe it is the true species as well.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom,

Does your`Fox Valley' CHM/AOS branch with multiple flowers? If so do you have a picture of its branching habit?

Robert

Latest posts

Back