Phrag. dalessandroi??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert,

Here's one of a subsequent blooming that shows the branching habit. When awarded the CHM/AOS, it had only one flower (the first on the inflorescence) and one bud. The attached photo is actually a better representation than the awards photo, which is pretty weak......FYI everyone else: We now have a good supply of selfings of the awarded (and ID'd) `Fox Valley' clone in seedling size, listed on the Fox Valley Orchids, Ltd. website at: www.foxvalleyorchids.com. Had to put in the plug ;=)

I mentioned before that Dr. Cal Dodson examined the flower and validated the CHM/AOS award. Given the number of plants labelled "d'alessandroi" in circulation that are not the true species, I thought it especially important to have it's discoverer verify it's identity prior to using in in our breeding program.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:
Here's a photo of the d'alessandroi I got from Tom:

Phrag_dalessandro.jpg

Hi Dot,

Beautiful flower and beautiful photo. I wish I had your photographic eye (and equipment!). Once you see enough of the true d'alessandroi, it's pretty easy to differentiate between it and other, less authentic examples.

e-spice - our seedlings have 6 inch leaf spans and are growing vigorously in rose pots. I think the secret to growing d'alessandroi well is to grow the compots in R/O water until the seedlings have 4-5 inch leaf spans - then repot into 2 1/4 inch pots and never, ever allow them to dry out. We don't continue to grow them with the pots sitting in water beyond this point, but some of our customers do so successfully. The water has to be of good quality. Rainwater or R/O) are best, but even these don't seem to approach the quality of the seepage in which they grow in their Ecuadorian habitat (16 micro-siemens !).

Hey Eric - Didn't mention it before, but there will be a tray of d'alessandroi seedlings available at Fox Valley during the Chicagoland Orchid Festival on September 24th weekend ;=)

Thanks,

Tom!
This is pure torture! I can't wait to get my hands on one, or two. Let's abolish the frontier for orchid plant migrants. :)

Very pretty!

Hey Dot - I have always wanted to get one of those from Tom but don't do well with besseae. How is the plants vigor compared to besseae?

e-spice

It's still pretty early for me to say for sure, but so far, it's still alive. I have a lot of trouble with besseae, partly because of it's stolonous (sp?) habit..

Hi Dot,

Beautiful flower and beautiful photo. I wish I had your photographic eye (and equipment!).
My equipment is pretty simple, Tom. And I count on Photoshop to help correct things my camera can't.

i have seen many phrag. dalessandroi that belong to dennis himself and that looks like it could be a very good one. who knows but it looks very similar to some ive seen.

It reminds me some ecuadorian form of besseae we've seen in the past.
I agree with Eric it could be a Jersey (?) or an hybrid (??) ...

I had a look at 'Die Gattung Phragmipedium' writen by Olaf (1996), many besseae ecuadorian form can be seen. The clone 'Elisabeth', Rechtalperle v. Lautenbach', 'Wössener' and 'Wössener Feuer' and all of them are looking prety similar to that one... But again some of those seems to have branching and multifloral habit? :confused:

Latest posts

Back