Quantcast

Phrag. caudatum and hirtzii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

abax

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Might we have a bit is discussion about the culture of these two Phrags. such as light levels, temps, etc. I have a fairly large three
growth caudatum that is growing quite well, but seems to resist blooming. I read the culture advice posted on various sights
and am a bit confused about the culture of both plants. Any experience anyone has to offer is appreciated.

Duck Slipper

Reaction score
I have had really good luck with Caudatum’s. They bloom dependably for me late winter/early spring every year.
A south facing window and T5 gro lights, cool nights, 1/4 tsp./ gallon K-lite every watering. I use city water and try to water them every 2-3 days. I have had rot problems with them but it is always in the summer after they have been repotted. I think the two reasons they have bloomed for me so easily is the cool nights (low 60’s) and bright direct light.
I have quite a few species of Paphs. that have been considerably more frustrating than these.

abax

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I have almost exactly those conditions in my greenhouse. Perhaps I'm too impatient. DS do you keep the pot sitting
in water?

Duck Slipper

Reaction score
No, Abax, I don’t leave the pot sitting in water. Your growing in a greenhouse, so I think our light duration would be about the same. Even though mine are under T5’s I still think it is the increasing duration and strength of sunlight that makes mine bloom. So, I think yours to.
Mine have never bloomed now or any other time of year except late winter/early spring. I have had these same plants from an original purchase in the mid 90’s. They were some of my first orchid purchases along with Phaleonopsis, and have always bloomed dependably. I think in a greenhouse you will get more flowers per spike than I do! Duck

abax

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I have LED grow lights in my greenhouse because I live in the woods and much of the day the gh is shaded. Thank you
for the info. , neighbor!