Phrag Carol Kanzer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering, did you find that out too late, hence the clipped leaves, or do the tips turn brown anyway?

I found out too late, hence the clipped leaves. I have had her 3 years and she has always under "normal" care, like the my other phrags get, had a problem with her leaves and new growths. She had plenty of water,too, so I don't think that was the cause.

...when she got her "pure " routine of rain water and no fertilizer this spring/summer ,she has grown sooooo much better. New growths aren't brown tipped. She's just sensitive:D

Brown tips= not enough water. Has little to do with fertilizer IMO

I agree, unless your fertilizer is off the chart. As water evaporates (or is absorbed by the plant) the fertilizer concentrates in the moisture that is left, or leaches to the surface of the media you use. If kept moist, then the roots/leaves shouldn't burn.

Kyle

I agree, unless your fertilizer is off the chart. As water evaporates (or is absorbed by the plant) the fertilizer concentrates in the moisture that is left, or leaches to the surface of the media you use. If kept moist, then the roots/leaves shouldn't burn.

Kyle

My hubby fertilizes everytime he waters and the plant did not get flushed with plain water at all . He even had some phrag leaves to develope white streaks... we were informed this bleaching is the plant getting too much food and not being able to use it...sure enough, flushing and cutting back on fertilzer, the leaves turned green again...very weird and scary though !

Interesting. I always thought that too much fertilizer was the cause of brown tips, which, it seems, is sort of true. How about if you never fertilize, or very rarely - could you still get brown tips if the plant dries out?

My hubby fertilizes everytime he waters and the plant did not get flushed with plain water at all . He even had some phrag leaves to develope white streaks... we were informed this bleaching is the plant getting too much food and not being able to use it...sure enough, flushing and cutting back on fertilzer, the leaves turned green again...very weird and scary though !

That's very interesting. I'll have to do some more observing...

Back