Phrag Bug

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehanes7612

Reaction score
photo-171.JPG

waunakee sunset x kovachii (2), fischeri,graeme jones and hanna popow flavum (from Thanh , springwater orchids..supposed to be Acker breeding)

i have the phrag bug now (sorry for my timing Eric)..ordered some kovachii hybrid seedlings and dellasandroi BS plant from Chuck as well as reserving a few flasks for oct

hopefully my first besseae (out of compot) will bloom this year ..i also have a compot of besseae flavum, kovachii and eumilia arias all doing really well as well as some odds and ends doing really well..these are so easy to grow ...in fact i had dehydrated my flavum compot so much that i thought i lost them all..they were so shriveled up and barely alive (no bigger than one inch across)..i repotted them in CHC and now (6 months later ) , all of them are incredibly vibrant .. three to four times bigger..they are like weeds

Got them from a great source...seems that Thanh's plants frequently spike not long after I get them.

Those are some great crosses, for sure.

I'm curious how people feel about the besseae flavum crosses. In general, I think the flavum species is great, but most of the flavum hybrids haven't really lived up to my personal expectations.

I have only 1 flavum hybrid left (I've traded and/or given away the rest). So, I'm really not an impartial judge. Mostly, I'm curious how other people feel about the flavum breeding lines.

Thanks Ed. It's good to see that the plants I tried to buy will make someone I know happy. :p The fischeri is a good size for the price. And the BS Pk hybrids!! I was in shock when he said they were gone! Oh well, "if you slow, you blow!" Thanh got them from someone at the Tamiami show. I would like to know from whom...? :)

I'm curious how people feel about the besseae flavum crosses. In general, I think the flavum species is great, but most of the flavum hybrids haven't really lived up to my personal expectations.

I have only 1 flavum hybrid left (I've traded and/or given away the rest). So, I'm really not an impartial judge. Mostly, I'm curious how other people feel about the flavum breeding lines.

I think they are great and offer a change to those who complain about standard red hybrids getting boring. The best I have or have seen are: Yakima River, Robert Palm, Cahaba Morning Mist, St. Ouen, and Hanne Popow. There are photos of many of these on this forum.

I think they are great and offer a change to those who complain about standard red hybrids getting boring. The best I have or have seen are: Yakima River, Robert Palm, Cahaba Morning Mist, St. Ouen, and Hanne Popow. There are photos of many of these on this forum.

Yes. I think the flavum Robert Palm is amongst the best of the flavum hyrids. I've held on to one flavum Eric Young that I am particularly fond of, as well, but overall, being a HUGE fan of yellow slippers, I've been under-whelmed with the flavum hybrids.

I'll have to search this forum for photos of the flavum hybrids you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions!

ehanes, please don't get me started on Phrags.!!! Your photo makes me
want to run to the nearest internet vendor and start throwing money
around. I promised myself I'd stay with Brachy Paphs. until I could do
well with them. Please don't offer any more temptations. ;>)

ehanes, please don't get me started on Phrags.!!! Your photo makes me
want to run to the nearest internet vendor and start throwing money
around. I promised myself I'd stay with Brachy Paphs. until I could do
well with them. Please don't offer any more temptations. ;>)

not much chance of that

Just start with one. If it does OK, just get one more...
BTW Ed, what about those compots? :)

they are growing and fast

on a side note..I have three phrag besseae putting up spikes from a flask i got from chuck three years ago...my select dellesandroi is in bud as well as several phrags i rescued last year that recovered really nicely...i should find out what one of them is today

Latest posts

Back