Phrag besseae?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadeus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This is my friends. She bought it in bud and it is her first besseae. I tried to make her feel better by telling her, "it's probably very unique, and some people prefer that."

It's a pure besseae, right?

I'd rather wait for the 2nd bloom to appear before passing comment. Is it getting enough water? Never seen a besseae that looks like this before. What medium is it potted in?

"Is it getting enough water? Never seen a besseae that looks like this before. What medium is it potted in?"

- It was probably not getting enough water, it was bought bare root. It's now in orchiata and growstone. I'll update with a second pic.

"Heat stressed, but a pure besseae."

- Sounds right, it was bought during a heat wave.

"Is it from Ecuagenera?"

- Yes! My friend was amazed that you knew, then I quickly explained how you are with besseaes.

The leaves look so thick I am thinking that it is dalessandroi , is one of the spikes in the photo branching ?

If it is in orchiata and growstone, I would water it heavily each day, once or twice. That's what I have been doing, and my besseaes seem to love it. Try it, and I bet the later blooms will look a lot better.

(Over here in Europe you often get phrags in rockwool, and in that case you would kill it by watering each day. I don't like the rockwool, because it allows that brown fungus to attack the base of phrag leaves more readily. That fungus though is very easily kept away by watering each day with cool water. So rockwool, which is easy, allowing watering maybe once a week with phrags, has that problem to my mind, and so I try my best to avoid it.)

"Is it from Ecuagenera?"

- Yes! My friend was amazed that you knew, then I quickly explained how you are with besseaes.

The leaves look so thick I am thinking that it is dalessandroi , is one of the spikes in the photo branching ?

No, it is a new type besseae from,"Chula" or something, that they are selling. it has a distinct spacing on the branching, and puts out a lot of blooms. I almost bought one at the Parkside fest but was warned that the blooms might not be so nice. A cross with a round, full segmented besseae would be nice.

No, it is a new type besseae from,"Chula" or something, that they are selling. it has a distinct spacing on the branching, and puts out a lot of blooms. I almost bought one at the Parkside fest but was warned that the blooms might not be so nice. A cross with a round, full segmented besseae would be nice.

Very interesting, this is the first I have heard of this.

No doubt about it that it is heat or water stressed. Maybe from shipment or reporting. I bought a dalessandroi from Ecugenera about 2 years ago. Same thick wide leaves(wider than besseae, not as wide as true dalessandroi) and when it bloomed it also had a light pouch almost yellowish. Not quite this yellow. Not true dalessandroi also. It did branch but not a lot. It was also stressed. Almost lost it but now it is about back to blooming size. Will post when it blooms. Definitly different forms still being found. Let's see when yours blooms again what it looks like.

Latest posts

Back