Phrag Barbara LeAnn Going Downhill

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Gosh!
This is like the worst year for me.

I have lost armeniacum to rot today. That is the second armeniacum to rot this season. I have lost wenshanense to rot this year.

Now, my Phrag Barbara LeAnn, which I think has a pretty nice flower quality, at least I really like it, is giving me trouble.
It is not exactly rotting, but a couple of the leaves are sort of rotting.

Very pale brownish area started a few days ago, and now they are increasing in both number and size, and getting darker.
Definitely being eaten up by disease of some sort it looks like.

It was only a few days ago when I found a new growth popping up right next to the current growth.

What a bummer!

I think I'll chop off the affected leaves for now.
If they show up again, I'll have to trash unfortunately.
Why!!!!!!!!! :mad:

What's funny is that my phrag sedeni, which I don't like as much, is perfectly fine. Go figure! lol

I am going to treat! :poke: :p

I don't spray chemicals, so the easiest way to control disease is to cut off the affected area.
If it returns, then I won't waste my energy and risk spreading the disease onto my other plants, hundreds of them!

Maybe it is just a weak plant or weakened because my conditions don't suit it well.
For this, I can't do anything really.

The problem with cutting off leaves to try to stop an infection is that many times the infection is actually systemic in the plant and the visible infected spot is just a small part of the problem. There and non chemical treatments that work.

That is very much possible depending on the disease.
But cutting off quickly advancing area immediately halt the progress, although as you point out, that could just be temporary. Also, affected area serve as their "reproduction zone", possibly releasing spores and such.

What non-chemical do you use with success??
I don't believe in Cinnamon. Never worked for me.
Plus, if it were so successful, commercial growers would be using them. But no, isn't it right??

I'll try and take a good photo of the leaves tomorrow before chopping theraves off. lol

YES, Dragon's Blood Happy. It doesn't stink, you don't have to spray it and it truly does work miracles for rot/
erwinia problems. I've always thought cinnamon was a
magicians trick...has never worked for me either.

Heat stress? Old media and need to be repot? Over watering due to Heat stress and the need to be repot?
That is what I would be looking at before doing anything drastic. Especially if the plant was doing fine up until now.
I grow schlimii, longifolium, besseae and fischeri and only the besseae gives me problems during the heat of summer (the red-orange one.
I find the flavum to actually grow better under warmer temp)
and I water this plant less and almost don't give it fertilizer during mid-july to the end of august (or when the temps goes
under 77F)
:)

YES, Dragon's Blood Happy. It doesn't stink, you don't have to spray it and it truly does work miracles for rot/
erwinia problems. I've always thought cinnamon was a
magicians trick...has never worked for me either.

You need to be rigorous and generous with your cinnamon+alcohol applications (at least three days in a row) and a fresh bottle of rubbing alcohol works best.

Silvan- I thought people grow phrags in water. lol
Heat might be the main factor that stressed out and weakened the plant.

I don't really fertilize during the hot months, except for hot growers like Brassavola nodosa, phalaenopsis and cycnoches sort of things.

I understand that cinnamon has antifungal property but it just doesn't work.
One, at least the power don't go into the plant, so a case like in dealing with, it will be useless.

The Dragon"s Blood dries very qickly, making something like a shell on the tissue. I'm sure it also is absorbed I will meet up with you this week and you can try some

I saved my Phrag China dragon recently. Repot it, wash roots with physic twenty & cut any disease area off, give the heathy part a fresh start!

I also reduced my sitting water tray to 1/2 of water, this water change & rinse more frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I meant physon 20, a fungus & bacterial killer. If you count how many chemicals are in your tooth paste, no reason can't use some for the plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I somehow got that you meant physan 20 the first time. lol
I do not use that product. I find it useless. If rather use bleach solution.

The Dragon"s Blood dries very qickly, making something like a shell on the tissue. I'm sure it also is absorbed I will meet up with you this week and you can try some

Yeah, I was reading a little about it and the locals have been using it on wounds as it dries and seals. Known as natural red bandage it says.

Latest posts

Back