Phrag. Apollo 'Red Velvet'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Another Phrag. Apollo opened for us. Phrag. Apollo is a backcross of Phrag. Fritz Schomburg to kovachii. This one turned out a rich dark velvety red! THe shape is a little wonky, but hopefully this will improve as the plant matures (THis was a first bloom on a small plant). Interestingly this flower has retained more of the "besseae" shape.

Robert

I'm not into Phrags, but that color could change my mind. Incredible!

love the color and texture. another step closer to the full potential of kovachii hybridizing.

Are these relatively easy to grow, or do they really need more PK conditions? (is this a sibling of "Christmas Eve"?)

I would say kind of in-between a pure kovachii and a first generation kovachii hybrid, but yes easier to grow than the pure kovachii. And yes, it is a sibling of "Christmas Eve" that one had more of the "kovachii" shape, as this one has inherited more of the 'besseae" shape, although since I took the picture the petals have grown somewhat..

Robert

I thought I would post an updated flower. The first pictures were when it was just opening. Now it is fully open. The color has gotten slightly lighter, but it is still pretty red .The shape isn't the best, but hopefully that will improve as the plant matures.

Robert

Latest posts

Back