Phrag. andreetae `Fox Valley'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, really nice... how do you grow it? my Phrag andreettae is not doing very well... I was told to add Dolomit to the growing medium (supposed to be calcareous) but I do not see that it is helping much... (Phrag fischeri on the other hand is doing great under the same conditions!)

Hi Ramon,

We grow Phrag. andreetae in a mixture of (4) parts seedling grade fir bark,(1) part #3 size charcoal, (1) part coarse perlite and (1) part chopped New Zealand sphagnum moss. I top-dressed the pot with 1/2 tsp of powdered dolomite lime in the Spring. Since it's in the cool house, summer temperatures average 80F during the day and 62F at night, and I have the plant directly in front of the fan& pad cooler, so there is vigorous air movement. Essentially, I am growing it in identical conditions as Phrag. schlimii. It is not a fast growing plant by any means. Light levels in this part of the cool house do not exceed 1,200 fc. I self pollinated the plant this morning, hoping for seedlings (and hoping not to kill the plant). :eek:

Last edited:
Hi John,

I also used a small bit of pollen to pollinate our Phrag. besseae `Dreamsicle' - a very pale orange besseae w wide petals. Assuming the pollination is successful, we could see something similar to Hanne Popow or Barbara LeAnn shapewise, with orange/pink color?

Hi John,

I also used a small bit of pollen to pollinate our Phrag. besseae `Dreamsicle' - a very pale orange besseae w wide petals. Assuming the pollination is successful, we could see something similar to Hanne Popow or Barbara LeAnn shapewise, with orange/pink color?

That sounds nice. Because of the colour of the besseae that you chose to mate with this species, I'd think that the most outstanding quality of the offspring will be a very cool art shade, coral colouring. Good luck! Thanks.

Congratulations, Tom. That is one sweet bloom! Interesting to know it is difficult to grow, as are some of the other Phrag species. I can hardly wait to see the offspring of your cross -- sounds lovely.

Thanks a lot for the info, Tom... well.. let's see what my Phrag. andreettae will do in the future. It's growing together with Phrag. fischerii under similar conditions as described by you (and yes, I had noted it is very slow! :)) I hope it recovers... and am lookingforward to see those andreettae x besseae ;) sounds like an interesting cross

Well, I guess since you pollinated it, I won't be seeing it in Glencoe this Saturday? Woulda been a slam dunk CHM at least, eh? I like this species, cute like its cousins... schlim & fischer.

-Ernie

Tom really has fields of andreetae in bloom, [think K-S field of besseae at WOC]!! He's breeding them in volume to be table plants from Lowes and Wallmart! :evil:

Tom really has fields of andreetae in bloom, [think K-S field of besseae at WOC]!! He's breeding them in volume to be table plants from Lowes and Wallmart! :evil:

those places kill plants like that in record time; someone smart would want to camp out on the day those plants would arrive or else they soon would be dried out or worse (though I think you're kidding ;) )

Super clone Tom. When the first pics came out of this species, I thought was"what a dog" Yours proves me wrong!

Latest posts

Back